Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping to Bonaire from US

Default Shipping to Bonaire from US

Anyone have experience shipping large items to Bonaire. This goes back to my furniture question. It looks as though furniture is better in the States and I can just ship it to the island.

Thanks for the input.

J

Overlooking Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire and "VINIBU" on Bonaire

Well we have shipped lots. Last winter we just shipped a 5 piece rattan sectional couch down there. Best bet is to contact Mercy @ Amcar Freight..
    Her e address:
    Mercy@amcarfreight.com

Of course shipping is fairly expensive so be prepared.
    Any other questions, let me know.

Amcar Freight 12600 NW 25 Street
    Suite 107
    Miami, Fl 33182

"Life is good, And on Bonaire, It's even better!"

Owner of VINIBU

Debs is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Yes, definitely use Amcar Freight outta Miami and Mercy is a doll! She will walk you through every step. Furniture is a hit or miss buying on island, we have shipped lots of stuff down to our place from the states. Duties should not be as much now as it has in the past. I think a flat 8% is now endorsed. Somebody can correct me if I am wrong and you will need to pay ocean freight as well. Amcar ships on Tuesday to Bonaire, so have your stuff there by then to get it out, all in all about two to three weeks before you have it in person on island. That is if everything goes smoothly. On island, Rocargo will receive it and notify you when it is ready to get picked up.

Not sure where you actually live in the states, but may be worth a trip to Miami to buy whatever furniture and have them send it over to Amcar, saves costs in shipping from far away to Miami too.

Oh and as far as costs go, just double what you are paying for the furniture and that should be ocean freight and duties, maybe a little less now with duties at a flat rate. Pricey, but at least you have what you want.

Home Depot Expo has a lot of furniture too, I actually shipped a stainless steel propane tank from them and had it shipped to Bonaire and did everything online. Nice! They work quite well with Amcar in getting it to them. I was surprised at all they had to offer instead of the reg. stuff Home Depot has here in our area. So, it may have what you need too.

Thanks everyone. I was wondering how you got the items to Miami. Ill have to price all that out. It might actually be cheaper to take a trip to Miami and buy there like you mentioned!

Regards,

JB..I've also used Henk at ShoppersBonaire. So that's another source you can consider. He can take care of anything you can purchase in the US. URL is :

http://www.shoppersbonaire.com/

However don't think ANYTHING is cheap to get to Bonaire. I and the others who own property on the island I'm sure have their own stories to tell about exorbitant costs incurred in the past.

Something to bear in mind;
    the purchase price of an item, most of the time, is just the tip of the iceberg.sales tax,delivery charge,export packaging,handling at freightforwarder,freight charges,handling in Bonaire,customs charges,fuel surcharges,ABB and delivery charges are factors that influence the final price of your purchase. Good luck!

Owner of VINIBU

have you considered shopping in Curacao????? if nothing here appeals to you? A lot of choices and simple shipping. Also, a very large furniture store is coming soon to Bonaire and will be located in the present Cash and Carry warehouse.

Think about online shopping before a trip to MIA. For example, Overstock.com is extremely reasonable-no sales tax, low shipping, etc. We just bought a mattress from 1800mattress.com & delivery in the MIA area was free. Ocean freight is expensive, but the nice thing about Amcar is that they will consolidate for you over a time period, and keep track of your orders (tell them up front you'll be "holding for consolidation"). This means you can ship from dozens of different places, with all sorts of arrival times. (I made my life easier when I registered Amcar's address with my credit cards as a legit "ship to" address before purchasing.) When you're ready, you tell Amcar to ship (the comments below re: Mercy at Amcar are acccurate). You need to keep her apprised of what will be delivered, and she'll need every invoice. Deadline is always Monday at 4pm for that week's sailing on Thursday. The container arrives on Bonaire the following Thur/Fri (weather/holidays/strikes permitting...). Rocargo, Amcar's agent here, will handle your paperwork/clearing customs, etc.--the paperwork fee is about $50, plus the freight, insurance, bunker surcharges, etc. If you cannot transport locally yourself, Rocargo can also arrange delivery to your door. Although there are no longer import duties on most items, import papers still need to be filled out. There is a flat 8% ABB tax on everything (on top of the shipping cost), which is way better than the previous import duties on furniture (some were above 40%). Curacao still has all of these import duties in place, so shopping there is no longer the bargin it was--they're paying high import prices, and on top of that, you have to pay to ship it to Bonaire, then pay the 8% on top of the local shipping and the cost of the item.

I am so glad that effective 1/1/11 that they got rid of those hideous import duties! Yes, the one on rattan furniture was something like a RIDICULOUS 40%. We purposely waited till AFTER 1/1/11 to ship our rattan sectional couch to Bonaire and literally saved well over a thousand dollars. The tax structure on Bonaire is now much more favorable for import commerce. IMHO this in one way or another will benefit everyone who lives there.

Owner of VINIBU