Thread: Biting Bugs .......??

Default Biting Bugs .......??

Oooo heck - am now more worried about Biting Bugs than the initial scare regarding theft at Harbour Village resort !!
    Help!!!!!!!!!
    I am very 'attractive' to bugs (unlike my husband who never gets a bite); hear that the Mossies etc are very prolific in Bonaire, even during the day, and carry Dengue Fever (yikes!)......

We go there mid -November for 2 weeks .........

Any suggestions/comments please - *anxious* !!

Quote Originally Posted by dreemerdog View Post
    Oooo heck - am now more worried about Biting Bugs than the initial scare regarding theft at Harbour Village resort !!
    Help!!!!!!!!!
    I am very 'attractive' to bugs (unlike my husband who never gets a bite); hear that the Mossies etc are very prolific in Bonaire, even during the day, and carry Dengue Fever (yikes!)......

We go there mid -November for 2 weeks .........

Any suggestions/comments please - *anxious* !!
    Hi.
    The obvious tips are:

1: Cover Up! Wear light coloured long pants & sleeves, especially around dusk when Mosquitoes are most prevalent. Dark clothes attract these insects as do dark corners, under tables & the corners of bars.

2: Spray yourself. Find out before you go what works for you. DEET products are undoubtedly the most effective but their are arguments regarding their effect on the environment. On island (when available) there are a few good products. I found OFF! to be the most effective for me, also OSI. These products come in aerosol, pump & cream.

Biters are around all day on Bonaire, not just at night like on some islands. It does vary according to the time of year & the weather. After heavy rain, Dengue Mosquitoes breed in standing water, these obviously spread Dengue Fever which is much worse than just an itchy bite. Also, in areas where there is a lot of greenery, there is the Limby Limby (sp?). These do not appear to bite but they are attracted to moist areas of the body such as the eyes & mouth. They are tiny things and damn annoying. However, spraying a little mosquito spray onto the hands and rubbing over the face (watch your eyes) will do the job.

It sounds worse than it is. I too attract all of these creatures but I managed to stay on the island for three years without too much trouble. Just be prepared & then enjoy!
    My names still Antony without the 'H'

Skin so soft with picardinhttp://www.epa.gov/opprd001/factsheets/picaridin.pdf from avon helps some......if you can get the towelettes they are great to carry in your carry on and to apply BEFORE you get off the plane. the airport seems to have a lot of skeeters...especially if you come in on the red eye....
    Freddie

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile.

as they say "different strokes for different folks". i use cactus juice as a repellant and rarely get bit. mary almost bathes in cactus juice, skin so soft, high DEET products, etc. and still gets bit. hard to say which type of product will work best for you. keep in mind that the dengue-carrying mosquito (aedis aegyptis...or something like that) is generally a daytime mosquito so if you make it through daylight hours without getting bit your chances of getting sick are greatly reduced. stay in the water all day and you should be good.

i agree about the limpi limpis...they don't bite but will drive you crazy. they seem to gravitate towards your mouth, nose, eyes, ears...yuck. a few years ago we were even inhaling them down our snorkels while swimming out to a dive. if anyone remembers the cleveland indians vs new york yankees playoff game in 2007 there was a lot of evidence about how annoying they can be. here in cleveland we call them midges and they actually had to stop the game for a short time so some of the players could get sprayed down and repel the bugs. fortunately they fly in swarms and come in and out in less than an hour.

Another idea is to leave the bathroom light on at night. This draws them away from you while you sleep.
    If your opposed to using deet on your body, I'd use cactus juice or any kind of mouth wash in a spray bottle.-- all reports say it works.
    I'd also find an empty box, such as a beer 24 bottle case and heavily spray the inside with deet. Mosquitoes will enter at daybreak.
    I wish I had your problem---Mosquitoes ON Bonaire--have fun, wish I was going!!!

We tried a repellent with Picaridin in Feb. and it seemed to work well. I brought some DEET as a backup but never used it. Picaridin is in several brands and is much less toxic than DEET.

Default Reimann Mosquit Ex ?

A little research ....... Reimann Mosquit Ex seems to get very good reviews ; has anyone used this product ?? Thanks !