Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to bonefish?

Default Where to bonefish?

Hi everyone!
    I am going to Bonaire in Juli. I believe it will be my 5th trip to this amazing island. I am so excited about going there to dive, snorkel, fish and enjoy everything else around.
    I have previously fished at Lac Bay for Barracuda and inshore with a crew and ship . We caught both big Dorados and Wahoos.
    Lately I have heard many great things about bonefishing on flats, and I would love if anyone could tell me, where excactly I should go.
    I have done some research but I would love to make do without any guide, because I am not interested in paying around 250$ for a trip. I think these money will do better in the tackle-shop. I hope that you will tell me, where I should go
    Thank you so much!
    - Ben

Overlooking Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire and "VINIBU" on Bonaire

Hi Ben..I think the best way to fish for bonefish is with a resident guide. Capt Chris comes to mind.
    I'll be down the first 2 weeks in Aug, if you're still there would be glad to share the cost with you.
    Congrats on catching the wahoo & dolphin Dorado! You did better than I did several years ago.

Bonefishing spots? I've seen them in the pekelmeer down south. To my knowledge Cargill doesn't really want folks on their property but I've seen fishermen there. Additionally, try over at Cai.

Don't know what equipment you plan on using, fly rods or spinning, but if it were me, personally I'd chose very light spinning tackle & natural bait.
    Of course a good pair of polarizing glasses & wide brimmed hat are required requisites (IMHO) to be able to spot 'em. Good luck. Bonefish are a lot of fun to catch!
    Last edited by ModRoy; 01-21-2012 at 04:49 AM. Reason: Dorado not Dolphin Vince, we don't want to start a heated convo for no reason do we
    "Life is good, And on Bonaire, It's even better!"

Owner of VINIBU

Hi!
    I won't be on Bonaire in August but it was a nice idea.
    I have actually also caught barracudas at Lac Bay I thought - but maybe that's what's called Lac Cai??
    I don't want to irritate Cargill so I still look out for another spot Last time at Lac xxx it didn't seem to me like it was possible to bonefish because the bottom of the flat was filled with plants :P Maybe I was just too rookie to find them

I have never tried fly-fishing and I will still use a spinning rod for the next trip Though have I the last couple of times fished with the simple plastic wheels. This time I'll fish with a "normal" rod, and therefore I also need to buy a new one. I wondered if Piscatur (Cris) sell this stuff or if they only sell bait?? And do Cris sell live bait such as crab and shrimp? Last time I bought som spinners, hooks and some other stuff at a boat shop I think - do you know if they sell rods?
    Thank you again! and I hope someone knows anything about a great spot
    - Ben

Overlooking Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire and "VINIBU" on Bonaire

Ben..You can buy fishing rods & tackle at the Bonaire Marine store located about 3 blocks north of town next to the NAPA auto parts store.
    Lac Cai (where the conch shells are piled up) is the other side of Lac Bay.
    As far as natural bait, you have to use what the bonefish are feeding on. When I was on Little Cayman we used a tight seine net to get our own bait.
    Good luck!
    "Life is good, And on Bonaire, It's even better!"

Owner of VINIBU

I can second the suggestion to use Captain Chris as a guide! A friend of ours had some fabulous days bonefishing last week. He hooked into 12 and landed 10 in one day with Chris. Of course, it's all catch and release. He certainly felt that was exceptional. And Chris is a great guy to boot!
    Blow bubbles, and be at peace.

Anyone else, who has some ideas about fishing-spots?

a fun place to fish is on the "Old Pier" (south pier) at night .. if there are no ships in the pier is opened to the locals to fish. It is a lot of great fellowship, a good time and a great way to make some Bonaire friends.

I third Chris at Piscatur. Having said that, I have a client who bonefishes in Lac Bay. I have joined him once. We used flies naturally. It was not so much fun for me..I prefer fishing for blues and stripers on Cape Cod.

It seems like lots of you have tried fishing for bones :-) Which bait did you use when spinning? crab, shrimp, artificial bait or something else? Dead or alive?
    Thanks!

I will travel to Bonaire the 27th February, and it`s my first time for tropical fishing. I will unfortunately travel alone , but maybe I can be lucky - and meet some other flyfishermen there . I have no idea where to fish, so I contacted National Park Foundation. They informed me that I could fish everywhere - exept Washington Park and down town.