Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flamingos Bonaire

Carole is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuKvP...&feature=share

Please watch this latest expose' on what might be contributing to the death of Bonaire's flamingo population. Sean & Hendrik have compiled so many stats and information and video footage trying to relay the need for immediate concerns regarding Bonaire's present state as well as her future. Please watch the entire video and take any action you can. Share the film, write to the Bonaire officials and authorities.
    May Peace be with you, Always...

Quote Originally Posted by larry View Post
    What proves "beyond doubt" are dying because they cannot see the cables? That video leaves the cause of death answer wide open. Yes, protect the flamingos, but don't jump to conclusions.
    Larry.

I am not jumping to conclusions. Read Seans website www.forumantilles.com

A direct quote from Forum Antilles:
    Yes the cables killed the flamingo birds, but the results from the waste water by the fish farm cannot be ignored!!
    The tests that were done on those specific dead Flamingos recently revealed no toxins or disease that would contribute to their inability to navigate the power lines.

Since then, the results from the water testing has revealed unacceptable levels of toxins that COULD affect wildlife & may have an affect on the Flamingos. This is still be investigated & of course a connection may be found, however this could take months. Now WEB see the opportunity to blame something else, it is less likely that they will act quickly, maybe not until all test results are complete.

The whole point of the original post was that at the time, there was no other proven reason for why the Flamingos were hitting the power cables. Now, WEB has been given an argument for why they MIGHT not to be to blame & an opportunity to procrastinate.

Regardless of the final results on whether the Flamingos have been affected by toxins in the water, spirals on the power lines would most likely reduce theirs deaths to a large extent. Because of this latest revelation, WEB are likely to delay that & many more Flamingos will die.

I still urge everyone to Email WEB @: web@web.an

If only a handful of Flamingos are saved as a result, is that not more important than point scoring?

It may be true that the direct cause of death was collision with the cables, but the birds HAD to be ill first. The video says that the first notifications of flamingo deaths began "about 3 1/2 weeks ago," putting the date (based on the video upload date of 23 Apr 2011) toward the end of March, 2011. That means either the cables were brand new to the location of the deaths or the birds were damaged through disease or chemicals in some way that altered vision, sense of direction or ability to change direction in time to avoid a collision. The point is that the flamingo deaths seem to be a recent phenomenon and, as such, cannot be attributable to structures that have been in place for (I am assuming; please correct me if this assumption is wrong) years.

Quote Originally Posted by larry View Post
    It may be true that the direct cause of death was collision with the cables, but the birds HAD to be ill first. The video says that the first notifications of flamingo deaths began "about 3 1/2 weeks ago," putting the date (based on the video upload date of 23 Apr 2011) toward the end of March, 2011. That means either the cables were brand new to the location of the deaths or the birds were damaged through disease or chemicals in some way that altered vision, sense of direction or ability to change direction in time to avoid a collision. The point is that the flamingo deaths seem to be a recent phenomenon and, as such, cannot be attributable to structures that have been in place for (I am assuming; please correct me if this assumption is wrong) years.
    Larry.

I am sure that we will find out in due course about the effects of the recent water testing & I am sure that we all hope that the results have not had the effects on the wildlife that we fear at the moment.

You are of course right about the cables having been in that location for a long time but the Flamingos have not. As a result of the unusually heavy & prolonged rain, water has accumulated further inland than is normal and that has attracted the Flamingos. Normally, they would not need to navigate the lines.

I have heard a rumour that WEB are now putting spirals on the line. Can anyone confirm this. I have Emailed them several times but they do not respond. I am pretty sure that they are a lot quicker in their communications if one is behind with their electricity bill.
    My names still Antony without the 'H'