Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lionfish...let's take action

Default Lionfish...let's take action

A lot has been said already about lionfish in the old forum but since we start fresh I find it appropriate for lionfish to be the first topic in environmental action. In my opinion it is such a big issue and will remain to be that forever I'm affraid that it could even warrant a separate category. But for now environmental action is probably the closest match.

The more people involved in hunting lonfish or otherwise helping to reduce their numbers the better. If you have ideas or questions on this or need tips (I am a very active hunter and always happy to help others become the same) let me know. For those that are on facebook, we have a group called 'Bonaire Lionfish Hunters'. Look us up.
    Bas Noij
    www.vipdiving.com

kob is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Bas -- we're looking forward to hunting with you in September. Looking forward to a little lionfish BBQ as well !!

Overlooking Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire and "VINIBU" on Bonaire

I'll be down the end of July for several weeks and can't wait to try out my new fillet knife and frying pan!
    "Life is good, And on Bonaire, It's even better!"

Owner of VINIBU

I'll be there June 1st, ready to roll as soon as you are back on island!
    Cheers,
    Liz

Bas - we were on the same fishing boat you went diving on while down - Captain Chris was great but poor Teo had a head cold..- hope to catch up with you next time - and cant wait to EAT those b@$t@rd$!!!

Hey - I heard tourists can kill lionfish but not with a speargun/pole.. Do you know the validity of this?
    Dianna & The Hounds
    Be the kind of person your dog thinks you are!

That was actually another Bas (Bas Tol) but we work for the same dive operation. At the moments tourists are not allowed to use any type of spear. The only device legally allowed is the ELF tool (a small spring loaded hand spear). There is a program in the making that will allow visitors to also use an ELF after a training course and under the direct guidance of a licensed local guide. Other than that no spearing allowed as of now. You are of course allowed to catch them with nets or coke bottles or stab/slash them with a knife (actually seems to work well on the little ones according to Bas Tol). Even if shooting them yourself is not allowed we can still take you on a nice Lionfish safari in which you can actively participate in everything but the actual shooting. Good fun and good eating!!!
    Bas Noij
    www.vipdiving.com

Ooooooppppsss -- - sorry Bas - my mistake - he must have been in the derby with you too. Thats sounds like a great course in the making - hope to take it next year if its up & running.. I dont think I am coordinated enough to knife one - I have visions of lionfish fans stuck in my arm and a lost vacation in the hospital - did show a "hunter" a nest of them & watched him shoot & clean them - smooth as silk he was..
    Cant wait to eat them!!
    Dianna & The Hounds
    Be the kind of person your dog thinks you are!

We will be there in April 2012. I'm all in for some lionfish stalking and hope the laws allow me to hunt them. I'll keep watch here and eagerly await developments.

I love hunting, diving, shooting and eating seafood, so killing some lionfish for dinner is a logical progression for me.

I can't wait to saute a few in some garlic butter....

DiveSergeant

Stabbing with a knife does not work. Slashing does work BUT only on very small ones. We are talking 1 to 1-1/2 inch in size. And only if it's on a flat BARE ROCK surface with full access! You will have to be able to get very close with the knife and then slam it down fast. Your chances are much better at night with the fish blinded by your light. Please don't try to go catching the fish with a knife. Your chances of succes are really poor and it makes the fish you've tried much harder to catch in the future.
    Last edited by Bas Tol; 05-17-2011 at 02:41 PM. Reason: error

Just came back from a dive trip to Grand Cayman (my boyfriend dives.) We stayed at Compass Point on the east end of the island. Once a week the dive boat goes out on a lion fish hunt. Divers point out lion fish and the dive pros shoot the fish with metal rods and then remove their swim bladders. The fish are de feathered and skinned. At the pool that night I watched as a cook made little packets with aluminum foil of lionfish filets, chopped onion, chopped pepper, herbs and spices with a dab of butter on top and grilled them. The fish was tender and delicious.