Thread: "Booms" Sausage and Pumpkin Lasagna

Default "Booms" Sausage and Pumpkin Lasagna

By I'll always be BOOM here! (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #12429) on Monday, November 16, 2009 - 11:56 am:
    From Rachel Ray

Note: the group that I plan to make this for doesn't eat pork so I used chicken sweet italian sausage from Whole Foods. The substitution worked well. I chopped the sausages up and browned them.

Sausage and Pumpkin Lasagna

Ingredients
    2 pounds butternut squash or pumpkin halved and seeded
    EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for liberal drizzling
    Salt and pepper
    Freshy grated nutmeg
    3 cups chicken stock
    2 tablespoons honey
    2 pounds sweet Italian sausage
    4 tablespoons butter
    3 tablespoons flour
    1 quart whole milk
    10-12 leaves fresh sage, very thinly sliced
    2 boxes no boil, flat edged lasagna sheets
    2 cups grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
    1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
    Yields: Serves 6
    Preparation
    Preheat oven to 400ºF.
    Drizzle squash with a little EVOO and season with salt, pepper and a little freshly grated nutmeg. Roast cut-side down until tender, about 40 minutes. Let cool enough to handle, then scoop flesh out of skin and add to food processor. Puree squash with stock and honey, in 2 batches if necessary, and reserve.
    Heat a drizzle of EVOO in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and brown the sausage, crumbling it into very small bits as it cooks, about 7-8 minutes.

While the sausage cooks, heat a pot over medium heat. Add butter and melt, whisk in flour, cook 1 minute then whisk in milk. Season with salt, pepper, a little freshly grated nutmeg and sage. Cook until thickened, about 7-8 minutes, whisking occasionally.
    Dot some pumpkin puree in the bottom of a casserole dish then add a layer of pasta. Top with 1/3 of the cooked sausage and cover lightly with pumpkin puree. Cover with another layer of pasta, 1/3 of the béchamel sauce and 1/2 cup Parmigiano. Repeat with 2 more layers, ending each with béchamel sauce and using all of the remaining cheese for the top layer. Sprinkle parsley across the top, cover and bake lasagna 30 minutes. Uncover and cook 15 minutes more to brown the top.
    Serve with a spinach salad alongside.
    Freddie

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile.

Default Jim McP replies

Looks great. Howz bout a nice Sauvignon Blanc with that?
    Freddie

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile.

Default Jerry replies

I would go with a Viognier, it is a full-bodied, exotically flavoured white wine with sweet, aromatic floral and fruit aromas and flavours of ripe, juicy apricots, tropical fruit, honey and hints of spice.

Serve chilled, not cold.
    Freddie

Default Debbie B replies

Yummy! Thanks, Tara.
    Freddie

Default Mr. Bill replies

YUMM! Gave the link to Chef!
    Freddie