Thread: Broccoli Rabe and Sausage with Orecchiette

Default Broccoli Rabe and Sausage with Orecchiette

By Freddie Spring has Sprung ) (BonaireTalk Deity - Post #14435) on Monday, May 24, 2010 - 7:10 pm:
    Made this for dinner tonight and even G said it was good

Serves 6
    Hands-On Time: 15m
    Total Time: 25m
    Ingredients
    1 pound orecchiette
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
    1 pound hot Italian sausage, casings removed
    2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    1 bunch broccoli rabe {about a pound}
    4 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
    1 cup grated Parmesan (4 ounces){i used shaved parm}
    Kosher salt and black pepper
    Directions
    1.Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain the pasta and return it to the pot.
    2.Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up with a spoon, until it's no longer pink, 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook 1 minute.
    3.Add the broth and red pepper and bring to a boil. Add the broccoli rabe and simmer, covered, until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the butter and Parmesan and cook, uncovered, until the sauce thickens slightly, 1 to 2 minutes.
    4.Toss the pasta with the sausage mixture and teaspoon each salt and pepper
    Freddie

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile.

Default Barbara "CB" Gibson replies

By Barbara "CB" Gibson (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5167) on Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 9:07 pm:
    Freddie, I'm going to try this tonight....yeah, yeah, I'll use vegetarian meat replacements, but I bet it's still good...

By Barbara "CB" Gibson (Supreme BonaireTalker - Post #5175) on Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 2:29 pm:
    Freddie, it was good. I had trouble getting the sauce to thicken, and improvised a little. There is a soy based chorizo(DON'T gag, Jerry!) that has good texture and delivers the heat, so that's what I used as a meat substitute. I gave it an 8, but Eric gave it a 9.3!
    Freddie

When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile.