Thread: Local fresh fishseafood

Jennifer V. Lurker

Default Hello All: We are on island

Hello All:

We are on island and are looking for fresh fish/seafood market. Local phone number would be a plus. many thanks

Debbie B. ~ Jersey Gal(*) Lurker

Default Hi Jennifer, Here ya go: [

Does anyone know if these addresses are still good. We love to eat fresh fish daily and would like to know where we can stop when we come in 2 weeks

Doe is no longer selling fish, i believe he retired.

Thank you for replying! Are most of these homes? Do they have signs out or do I just go knock on the door? On other islands we have visited there is usually guys buy a boat pier that you drive to buy fresh fish? Anyone familiar with any places like this?

I realize that this is a pretty old post, however, we will be on the island in a couple of weeks, and would love to find someone to buy fresh fish from - is this list from 2009 still accurate or does anyone have any updated info....any help will be appreciated!!

smits is offline Bonaire Lover SUPPORTING MEMBER - Bonaire Talker

Last year we bought at:

Kaya Dialma,
    They have a small chalk board at the road.
    The have fish around 16:00/17:00

They sell their catch from a home.
    They have good prices and they filet the fish for you.

I found a picture:

http://www.zonnigzeezicht.nl/viswinkel-op-bonaire/

You may want to try going to Lac Bay where many of the fisherman come in. I say this because most of the fish caught are being caught legally. There are many fisherman who fish on the west coast, who do in fact follow the rules but unfortunately not all. I am a local here on Bonaire, for many years, and have now made it a personal choice not to buy fish from homes for the best interest of our reefs. I will however buy fish brought in from the east coast and or occasionally from fisherman I know. Again this is just a personal choice. I am not against a local fisherman who is just trying to feed his family but I am against illegal fishing for the ever so increasing commercial market of illegally caught fish. Now to offer another suggestion, I have heard that It Rain Fishes now sells fresh fish for take away.

Hello,
    I wanted to know what the rules/law are for locals fishing. The reason I'm asking is that at Salt Pier 3 people were fishing; they saw us and quickly left. In the event its illegal who do you report this to as I have detailed information to provide.
    Thanks in advance,
    Chris

Thank you all for the info! I certainly don't want to buy fish from people who are obtaining it illegally. It Rains Fishes sounds like a pretty good option. Buying directly from the fishermen at Lac Bay sounds like a good choice as well.

Thanks again!