Thread: Who Dat

Brad Ford Lurker

Default In recognition of the frozen p

In recognition of the frozen ponds in hell and the pigs landing at the airport, and the Saints in the NFC title game, I've made a big pot of gumbo for a gang of Saints fans who will be gathering shortly.

In case anybody else wants to make gumbo here's how:

Chicken Stock

Ingredients:

1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
    1 onion
    2 carrots
    1-2 stalks celery
    small handful parsley stalks (reserve leaves)
    1 cup white wine (if you have it)
    Salt
    Black Pepper (whole pepper corns if you have them)
    Tabasco/Louisiana Hot Sauce/Texas Pete/ground cayenne pepper (your preference)

Rough chop onion, carrots, celery. Put chicken back neck and giblets, vegetables, salt and black pepper in a big pot. Cover with about 1-1 ½ gallon of water and wine. Slow boil for about 1 hour. Add pepper sauce/cayenne and salt to taste. Boil about another 30 minutes. While the stock is boiling sprinkle Tony's on the legs/thighs/breasts and roast. Strip the meat and reserve, throw the bones/skins in the stock.

As the stock boils (slowly) a scum will form on top. Skim it off.

When done, remove the chicken remnants. Strain the stock and throw vegetables away. Give the bones to the dog.

Let stock cool. Then, either skim grease off or use a gravy pitcher (spout from bottom) to separate grease.

You can make more than you need and freeze what you don’t use for the gumbo. I freeze it in little Glad containers, about 2 cups each.

Gumbo

Ingredients

1 cup flour
    ½ - ¾ cups oil
    1 cups onions, chopped (I usually put in 2 cups because I like onions)
    1 cup green onions, chopped
    ½ cup bell pepper, chopped
    1/4 cup celery, chopped
    ½ cup chopped parsley
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 tsp dried mint flakes
    1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
    Salt
    Black pepper, ground
    3 cups chopped okra (I usually get a frozen bag and use the whole thing). Okra is used as a thickener. If you don’t like okra, don’t put it in. Buy a little jar of file` (fee-lay, ground sassafras). Put file` in your bowl when you serve the gumbo, not the pot. Cooking file turns it bitter.

2 Lbs Andouille sausage (smoked sausage if you can’t get andouille)

Get all the ingredients together and chopped before you start. I usually do them while making the stock the night before and put them in Ziploc bags.

Slice sausage links in half length-wise. Place on a cookie sheet (on a wire rack is better) cut-side down and bake in 350 oven until most of grease is rendered. Let cool. Cut into bite size pieces. Reserve. Rendering the sausage is optional – I just don’t like a real greasy gumbo. But, some people do…

Make a 2-beer roux. Heat oil on med hi heat in a pot big enough to hold about 1-2 gallons. Add flour and cook until the mix is the color of a penny, about 45 minutes. STIR CONSTANTLY. If you burn it – little black specks appear, throw it out, wash your pot and start over. Don’t try to get by with it. Keep stirring, drink the beers, be patient. It really doesn’t matter how dark you get it. It is an appearance thing – darker is better. If you get nervous or tired just use it however you have it. But, no raw flour should be left.

If you want to, use 1 cup of oil and 1 cup of flour. It is easier to cook and less likely to burn, just takes a little longer than using less oil, and doesn’t make any difference in the finished product.

Add the onions to the hot roux. Stir.

Add the green onions, bell pepper, celery. Stir after each addition. Let the mix cook a few minutes until onions are clear.

Add about 2 cups of stock. Stir. Let it come back up to temp.

Add the rest of the stock (as much as you want). Stir. It will be a fairly thin mix.

Add Garlic, mint, Worcestershire, parsley, reserved chicken and sausage, okra. Return to boil.

Salt and pepper to taste. Remember, you can add more but it is hard to take it out.

Cover and SIMMER for as long as you can stand it – 1 hour minimum – longer is better.

Keep tasting as it simmers and adjust salt and pepper. Add Tabasco or LA Hot sauce if you like.

Make a big pot of rice. Put a little rice in a bowl, put gumbo on top.

In case you haven’t noticed, there is no tomato in gumbo. If you find tomato in gumbo you’ll know that whoever made it ain’t from south of I-10 (or they had some tomatoes lying around). Those who use tomato as part of the base are just trying to get the color of dark roux without spending the time to make one. Of course, you can put tomato in if you like tomato.

If you want to make more, just multiply the ingredients. The only ratio that really matters is 2:1, onions to bell pepper and 4:1, onion to celery. Don’t increase the bell pepper and celery, that is, don’t use 1 cup onions and 1 cup celery. If you do you’ll wind up with celery and bell pepper soup. Any of the other ingredients can be increased or decreased to your taste.

who dat!! who dat talkin' bout beat dem saints??

Barbara "CB" Gibson* Lurker

Default Brad, I was in a client's

Brad, I was in a client's home while she was making gumbo, and I thought I'd faint over the smell....heavenly. I've been looking for a recipe ever since, so thank you!

I can't eat meat, so will have to work on some substitute....most meat substitutes don't hold up in a stew or soup...

Two question:

1) Is it possible to substitute red wine or mixed cocktails for beer?

2) Regarding the Saints thing.....why don't they just give both teams a ball, so there's no fighting?

Brad Ford Lurker

Default I have a recipe for vegetable

I have a recipe for vegetable gumbo somewhere. I'll find it and post it for you.

1. Gumbo is a mongrel dish. Use what you have or what you like, that includes the drinks. In fact, I've been known to substitute Ten High on the rocks for beer.

2. I think that was Andy Griffith's solution.

Default Suddenly I feel right at home.

Suddenly I feel right at home....

Thank, Brad. I'll look forward to the vegetarian variety, if you have time!

Default Oh, and Brad? Write more stuf

Oh, and Brad? Write more stuff...you're a hoot, and a helluva writer besides......

Brad Ford Lurker

Default The Saint's Super Bowl Cel

The Saint's Super Bowl Celebration is winding down now (I went to see the Lombardi Trophy this past weekend), and I finally opened the box with recipes inside after moving in our new place.

Mizz Gibson, this one's for you:

Vegetarian Gumbo

Vegetable Stock

Ingredients:

2 onions
    1 tablespoon chopped garlic
    1/2 stalk celery
    small handful parsley stalks (reserve leaves)
    3 medium tomatoes
    2 whole cayenne peppers or 1 bell pepper(your preference)- I grow them in pots on my patio. If you don't have fresh/frozen cayenne peppers use any kind of hot pepper you like, or use a bell pepper and add some ground cayenne or Tabasco.

Rough chop onion, celery, tomatoes, pepper. Put vegetables in a big pot. Cover with about 1-1 ½ gallons of cold water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 3-4 hours.

Skim off any scum that forms.

When done, strain the stock and throw vegetables away. The dog is out of luck.

You can make more than you need and freeze what you don’t use for the gumbo. I freeze it in little Glad containers, about 2 cups each.

If you want a little darker, richer stock leave the onion skins on, and brown the vegetables in a little oil before adding the water. Also, it's OK to salt the stock, but use a light hand.

I usually make my stock the night before I'm gonna make gumbo.

Gumbo

Ingredients

2 cups flour
    1 cup olive oil
    1 cup onions, chopped (I usually put in 2 cups because I like onions)
    1/2 cup bell pepper, chopped
    1/2 cup chopped parsley
    2 cups cold water
    1/2 small cabbage head, chopped
    1 medium turnip, chopped
    1/2 bunch mustard green, chopped (you can use turnip greens, but they'll be a little bitter, so use a little less)
    1 tablespoon garlic, minced
    2 cups dry white wine
    Salt
    2 cups chopped okra (frozen is ok if you don't have fresh). Okra is used as a thickener. If you don’t like okra, don’t put it in. Buy a little jar of file` (fee-lay, ground sassafras). Put file` in your bowl when you serve the gumbo, not the pot. Cooking file turns it bitter.

Get all the ingredients together and chopped before you start. I usually do them while making the stock the night before and put them in Ziploc bags.

Make a 2-beer roux. For those of you who don't drink beer that would be about 1/2 bottle of wine. Heat oil on med hi heat in a pot big enough to hold about 1-2 gallons. Add flour and cook until the mix is the color of a penny, about 45 minutes. STIR CONSTANTLY. If you burn it – little black specks appear, throw it out, wash your pot and start over. Don’t try to get by with it. Keep stirring, drink the beers/wine, be patient. It really doesn’t matter how dark you get it. It is an appearance thing – darker is better. If you get nervous or tired just use it however you have it. But, no raw flour should be left.

If you want to, use more oil. It is easier to cook and less likely to burn, just takes a little longer than using less oil, and doesn’t make any difference in the finished product.

Add the onions, bell pepper and parsley to the hot roux. Cook until the onions are clear.

Add the water and stir. Add the okra and cook about 5 more minutes, stirring so it won't stick. Okra gets really thick, so don't walk away right now. Make sure you have plenty of beer/wine close at hand and keep stirring.

Stir in the stock, cabbage, turnips, greens, garlic and wine. Reduce heat to low, add salt and pepper, cover and simmer.

Salt and pepper to taste. Remember, you can add more but it is hard to take it out.

Cover and SIMMER for as long as you can stand it – 2 hours minimum – longer is better.

Keep tasting as it simmers and adjust salt and pepper. Add Tabasco or LA Hot sauce if you like.

Make a big pot of rice. Put a little rice in a bowl, put gumbo on top.

Now, vegetable gumbo is pretty good, and it's not bad for you. But what I really do is make me a vegetable gumbo. And while it's cooking I'll grill me up some chicken and andouille and throw it in before I serve it.

THAT makes a really fine vegetable gumbo.

Barbara "CB" Gibson Lurker

Default Cool....

Cool....

Jerry Lurker

Default Brad, post a few more. I think

Brad, post a few more. I think I like you?