Thread: Southern Split Pea

bill a.k.a.Mr. Bill...(*) Lurker

Default Split Pea Soup (8 qt pot&#

Split Pea Soup (8 qt pot)

INGREDIENTS

2 bags split peas (12 - 16 oz)
    1 ham bone
    2 large or 3 medium yellow onions (finely chopped or pureed)
    2 cans chicken stock
    3 tblsp chicken base (jar stuff)
    3 tblsp dry thyme
    2 whole bay leaves
    1/2 tblsp black pepper or 1/2 tblsp white pepper
    2 cups carrot chunks
    1/2 bunch of celery finely chopped, no leaves (optional)
    2 heaping tblsp bacon grease
    4 cups 1" ham chunks (can use less)
    1/2 cup heavy cream

DIRECTIONS

Over medium heat bacon grease until melted.
    Add one can chicken stock and onion, dry thyme, pepper, and celery salt. Stir occasionally until onion becomes translucent.

Add ham bone, second can of chicken stock, chicken base, celery, bay leaves and enough water to fill 3/4 of pot. Bring to a boil. Simmer until pot is 1/2 full. Meat should fall of ham bone.

Remove ham bone, pull meat off bone and back into pot. Discard bone. Add ham, dried peas, and carrots. Add water to 1" below rim of pot. Bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes while sirring constantly. Reduce to simmer and stir every 15 minutes (scraping bottom to make sure nothing sticks). Note: you can add more Thyme here to taste.

When water level drops 2" (3" below rim) soup should be uniform consistency with carrots and ham the only visible ingredients. Add cream - check for salt and pepper add if necessary. Remove from heat and let cool before serving. Add water to desired consistency if necessary and reheat to serve if necessary.

***Ken *** Lurker

Default Bill sounds just like mine lol

Bill sounds just like mine lol I add a couple of cloves and dont add cream. mine takes a day or two of simmering as i think it adds a little bit of flavor but it always comes out good stirring is important as i have ruined a batch or two when it stuck on the bottom and burned

bill a.k.a.Mr. Bill...(*) Lurker

Default Agreed Ken! The 2" to 3&#

Agreed Ken! The 2" to 3" drop can take two days and the stirring is without question the MOST IMPORTANT part! All that work easily takes on a burnt taste if you don't - yuck! Thanks for taking a look! Much appreciated!

La Reina de la Salsa Lurker

Default Love split pea soup. By any

Love split pea soup.

By any chance do you have a Tomato Soup recipe?