Thread: Stews

Jerry Lurker

Default Slow and low type cooking.

Slow and low type cooking.

bill a.k.a.Mr. Bill...(**********) Lurker

Default [b]Chip's

<font size="+2">Chip&#39;s Chili</font>

Note: We typically make this when it&#39;s time to take all the frozen beef and pork out of the freezer that shouldn&#39;t be left in there any longer &#40;Spring time for us&#41;. We also tend to make gallons of it and freeze for easy Summer eats when it&#39;s hot. Great with corn bread of course! Just keep the beef/pork ratio equal.

Ingredients:

3 cups chopped onions
    2 poblano chilis chopped
    6 cloves garlic, crushed
    6 rashers bacon
    2 lb pork, in 3/4&#34; cubes &#40;Loin or shoulder, trimmed of heavy fat&#41;
    2 lbs beef, in 3/4&#34; cubes&#40;chuck, round, whatever etc. trimmed of heavy fat&#41;
    1 tsp. oregano
    2 tsp ground cumin
    2 Tbs. chili powder
    1 scant Tbs salt
    1 small can tomato paste
    2 Cups hot beef bouillon
    1 Large can red kidney beans &#40;&#43;/- 15 oz net weight&#41;
    1/2 Cup corn meal
    1-2 chopped pickled jalapeno peppers, or Tabasco to taste

Directions:

Cook bacon over very low heat to render drippings, but not to brown, in kettle.

Remove bacon, add onion, poblanos, and garlic, cook over low heat till tender, about 8-12 minutes. Stir occasionally.

Push onion mix to side of pan, turn heat to medium, add meat and saute until lightly cooked on the outside -- STIR OFTEN!
    Note: if you&#39;re tripling or quadrupling the batch you might do better by using a large frying pan to pre-cook/sear the meet

Sprinkle oregano, cumin, salt and chili powder over meat, and stir. Cook in for a minute or two. Add can of tomato paste and hot bouillon. Stir to mix the broth well.

Bring just to the boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for at least a half hour &#40;we slowly simmer for 24 hours before continuing - turn off overnight!&#41;, stirring from time to time.

Add the can of beans and the jalapenos, stir in. Cook another 45 minutes or so &#40;we typically cook on very low for another 12-24 hours at this stage to allow the beans and jalapeno tastes to really meld&#41;

Add the corn meal to thicken, stir, and cook at least another half hour, stir often or the bottom might stick.

Taste and adjust salt, chili powder add Tabasco, etc.

Cook another 15 minutes.

You can top with all kinds of things like shredded cheese, sour cream, fresh cilantro, jalapeno slices, you get the idea...

bill a.k.a.Mr. Bill...(**********) Lurker

Default Warning - the pictures in the

Warning - the pictures in the series were from 20 lbs of meet and 5 lbs of onions! So, the results if you&#39;re not making it for a small army might not look quite the same!

MBZ aka JimmyChooWho aka R.A. Lurker

Default Oh man, that looks delicious,

Oh man, that looks delicious, I love chili! I&#39;m going to try this recipe next time. Thanks!

I'll always be BOOM here! Lurker

Default Now THAT is how to post a reci

Now THAT is how to post a recipe... not that I&#39;ll ever be that good... but DANG!!!!
    Thank you Bill &amp; Chip

I&#39;m going to give it a try too!