Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kitchen Appliances HelpReno Help

Eileen**and* Lurker

Default I think this is a good spot fo

I think this is a good spot for this topic!

Early in the next year, we are gutting the kitchen. We know what style etc. we are going for and the $$ involved.

However, I am at a loss for appliances, we will be looking at getting a double wall oven, built in micro, gas stove top. What makes do you all recommend? Any help appreciated! (We have had bad luck with KitchenAid though.)

The more research the better!

Also, we are thinking of granite, quartz countertops - any thoughts? Tips?

Thank-you!

Jerry Lurker

Default Eileen, is this a long time in

Eileen, is this a long time investment?
    How much cooking do you do?
    Can the stove be vented outside?

Diane and Bea Lurker

Default Bea goes with the Amana double

Bea goes with the Amana double wall oven , with the built in micro. She has a Dacor gas stove top. Electric start

Jerry Lurker

Default [url="http://www.thermador.com

http://www.thermador.com/kitchen-app...fessional.html

I have had this stove for ten years. It gets a hell of a workout. Had to replace a valve and over censor over the years. My drinking buddy has a range top....same great stove.

And to keep your oranges.
    http://www.subzero.com/#/integrated/

(Message edited by bonaire9 on August 31, 2010)

Diane and Bea Lurker

Default oh sorry Eileen Onyx on th

oh sorry Eileen

Onyx on the counter tops I guess less to take care of than granite ?

Eileen**and* Lurker

Default I did get my Subzero/Wolf pamp

I did get my Subzero/Wolf pamphlet... but have not received my thermador one .

This is a long term kitchen expecting a workout. The overall look - Classic design - due to lighting (dark because of the sunroom addition) - Natural Maple Cabinents, Raised Panel with accenting mocha (have to show you a pic) cabinets to the top of ceiling, crown molding, etc. - we will be getting accents, but classic, simple but elegent and timeless - if anyone knows what that means. Countertop - probably mid-grain size stone, darker. Floor, stone or porcelin tile. Possible darker, not sure yet, we will be working with someone (we have spoken with a few places already.).

Before kids, cooked a big range of food styles. Quinn came along, and onto boxed foods (shhhhh). Over time, I make most from scratch. Joel loves country comfort foods. I am more gourmet and prefer Thxgiving to be either non-traditional or traditional with a twist. I love pink peppercorns for cooking. Big range of styles and yes I do make pancakes/waffles every other morning for the kids/Joel. I am working on the presentation of my meals right now. Doesn't always happen.

I think the only thing I can not cook is roasted root vegetables and the food that I can say I hate - Braised Red Cabbage.

Unfortunately due to some things with Quinn, he prefers his KD, chicken nuggets and is brand specific. We are working on it but will take time.

This kitchen is an investment, I want it to look good 20+yrs from now. Parent's kitchen is like that.

Does that help? OK, I think I wrote a novel!! Sorry!

Jerry Lurker

Default Ok, time to rock. Floor..

Ok, time to rock.

Floor.....Very easy to clean....Grout? DON'T DO IT! Drop a pan on tile.....it's gone.

Can a free standing range go in? The oven / broiler works so well and frees up some storage space.

Buy the best, most powerful vent you can afford.

Make sure you have the gas pressure to support your cook top or range.

Eileen**and* Lurker

Default I like tile - If I drop a pan

I like tile - If I drop a pan and it's gone - I get to go shopping .

I am definitely 'wanting' a wall oven and cooktop. I love the look of the ranges though that are out there!

I guess I will have to have a BT Canada MM one day!!! Pool, Hot Tub - 2012 maybe?

Patrick Matthew White Lurker

Default I love tile! I have put it in

I love tile! I have put it in myself. I have not dropped the pan of destruction in it's seven year age of heavy use. Not if; but, when it happens I have replacements of tile and grout stored for such accidents. Go with porcelain and pick a timeless decor.

Jerry Lurker

Default Patrick, you are a lucky man.

Patrick, you are a lucky man. I have rubber mats at all work stations in my kitchen. My tiles have been smashed to hell over the years. I have many friends that love to cook, and my kitchen is there kitchen, but not my knifes. Remove a 16" cast iron pan from a 650* oven with just a chef's towel, that pan is going down.