PDA

View Full Version : Underwater Photo Course

fishhog
04-23-2015, 01:23 AM
Hi all,

The wife and I are headed to the island for our 6th trip in as many years. We try to do something new each time. I'm thinking of an underwater photo course this go around. The wife has been taking pictures for 7 years or so. She is on her second camera. She upgraded to a Canon S110 with a single strobe a few years ago. I just "play around" with a Sealife DC1400. Both are nothing complicated, but I think some guidance from an expert will help out.

Anyone have any reviews on the courses at Buddy or Fish Eye Photo?

Thanks!

Billy

DrDirector
04-23-2015, 07:54 AM
I had taken a one-on-one, all-day course several years ago with Tim at Fish Eye Photo and it helped me improve my U/W photography skills significantly. Tim had been recommended by an on-island friend / former divemaster. I had been doing U/W photography for about 7 years and recently purchased my 3rd U/W camera (a Canon S90 at that time) and was looking for pointers on using that specific camera. Recognizing I already had a reasonable understanding of U/W photography as well as some incorrect methodology, Tim discussed U/W photography in general, showed me how to get much better pictures with my camera than I had been getting to that point, and did a great job of explaining as he went along. His all-day course included a full morning "classroom" session, an afternoon dive for me to practice what we discussed as well as observe Tim using my camera at times, and finally an evaluation of the photos I just shot. I have even been able to use what I learned when I upgraded to a G16. The price of his course was very reasonable and even when I included the cost of the lunch I bought for us and a tip, it was still well worth it. Tim's Fish Eye Photo has moved from when I took the course. Whereas he had been located in the Den Laman condo building at that time, he now has his own building on the main road from Kralendijk towards the northern hotels, Kaya Gob. N. Debrot, 18A. Send me a PM if you want more information.

Mark

Neptune Nick
04-23-2015, 08:21 AM
Fishhog-
Agree with DrDirector. We took a course with Tim a few years back and found him very informative. Also he helped me out with a problem I had with my Sea&Sea DX-1G camera. Highly recommend him.

antennariidae
04-23-2015, 10:38 AM
I'd also recommend John at Buddy. I admit that I've not taken one of the classes, but I've known him for many years and he is a good guy. I think they sell the Sealife cameras so he'd be familiar with your setup.