PDA

View Full Version : Portable camera rinse?

grunt
08-29-2014, 03:02 PM
I have seen this addressed before but cannot find the thread.
I am looking to buy on island some type of container (or two) to hold rinse water for our newish camera rigs.
It needs to be sturdy enough to last a couple weeks but cheap looking enough not to a theft target.
Suggestion of what and where to buy are appreciated.
Arriving September 6th.

ModCecil
08-29-2014, 05:37 PM
My first thought is a wet towel, we always rubbage through the trash early on and find some plastic bottles for rinse water. We keep a couple hot for a shower and half freeze some for drinking. My camera is small enough I just leave it in the BCD pocket and that keeps in wet.

ModCecil
08-29-2014, 05:41 PM
On a related note I know one place you will never see my camera, in the camera rinse tank. Nothing like bagging it around again sharp objects (other cameras) while under water. Never made a lick of sense to me and don't even get me started on blowing out your first stage or snorkels.

grunt
08-29-2014, 05:51 PM
I just found a plastic tub with lid at Dollar General, 17"X12"X6 1/2 deep.
It will fit in my luggage and can be filled with clothes for the trip down.
If stolen the loss is minimal.
And agree about rinse tanks, often just nasty.

randl
08-30-2014, 11:13 AM
We bought a plastic bucket for a few dollars at the Bonaire Super Store (near Toyota). It came with a lid but it flew off on the downhill part of the road from Karpata into Rincon. We found the remaining splinters a couple of days later. But I digress.

The lid could be fitted with bungees but (since no longer have the lid) we fill a few large plastic bottles and bring them along to fill the bucket.

oshendvr
08-30-2014, 03:02 PM
Have you ever thought of buying a portable folding camping wash basin? Something easy to pack and reuse for future trips. Maybe available at Bass Pro, Cabellas, or maybe even Dick's. Just a thought. You only need to carry water with you and fill it as needed.

diverdan1
08-31-2014, 08:55 AM
I have used a cheap insulated soft side cooler bag in the past. Dual purpose as a travel friendly rinse tank and to carry cold items back from the grocery store.

oshendvr
08-31-2014, 01:03 PM
Totally forgot about using it that way, even better: it has carrying straps too

diver dave1
10-10-2014, 08:07 PM
I also use a soft side cooler for a rinse tank in the room or boat and ... a carry to the boat container. I fear my cooler would grow legs and walk away while shore diving Bonaire. I plan to rinse my rig with water bottles and spray bottle of water while out for shore diving then use the cooler back in the room for a good soak and rinse. The spray bottle is primarily to keep salt from crystallizing between dives, not make it perfect.