PDA

View Full Version : Status and Trends of Caribbean Coral Reefs: 1970-2012

tursiops
07-02-2014, 09:49 PM
The definitive publication (http://www.icriforum.org/sites/default/files/Caribbean%20Coral%20Reefs%20-%20Status%20Report%201970-2012.pdf) has just been issued by the Global Coral Reef Monitoring Network, as part of the International Coral Reef Initiative.
Pages 184-187 cover Bonaire. I would attach just those pages (pdf, about 600kB) if I could figure out how!

Bonaire is doing better than the wider Caribbean, but it too has decreasing coral cover, and a corresponding increase in macroalgae.
The drivers of this in general are too many people, overfishing, coastal pollution, global climate change, and invasive species.

What to do? the report's number one recommendation is to make sure you keep as many parrot fish (and other herbivores) as possible (they eat the macroalgae) by regulations, management, and preserves. Bonaire, to its credit, has mostly done these things. Time will tell if they have done enough.

Dee
07-09-2014, 05:54 AM
Interesting. I have noticed that the parrot fish population on Bonaire has decreased, in my opinion, just from visualization while diving. I know that CIEE was watching the parrot fish population. It would be interesting to get their data on it.