PDA

View Full Version : Transferring or Viewing Photos from Camera to Kindle

Gail Currie
04-20-2014, 08:20 AM
After last year's trip, and a break-in at the house we were renting, my husband is not letting me take my computer with us on this year's trip (the computer was the only thing stolen even though dive computers and other valuables were in plain site so we figure this was a planned robbery). Does anyone familiar with the Kindle know if it is possible to at least view the pictures taken on a digital camera on a Kindle? The larger screen will help me determine what changes I need to make to my camera settings or way I am taking pictures.

I would also like the chance to transfer these pictures from the camera chip to a saved safe place (like the Cloud) or possibly an external hard drive?

ModCecil
04-20-2014, 09:39 AM
Hi Gail, I remember hearing of a memory chip that connect directly to WiFi, now where you go from there is a software problem. I sure someone will point out the solution.

jimw
04-20-2014, 02:48 PM
I bought a 1 Terabyte portable drive for $59. recently--it's about the size of a big Android phone like the Samsung Galaxy and could stay fulltime in the safe in your room on Bonaire.

Gail Currie
04-24-2014, 09:44 AM
I bought a 1 Terabyte portable drive for $59. recently--it's about the size of a big Android phone like the Samsung Galaxy and could stay fulltime in the safe in your room on Bonaire.

Does this plug in to the camera and into the Kindle? I guess what I'm wanting to do without having a computer is view the pictures Ive taken so I can tweek the camera settings as needed. You can't really see minute things on the camera viewer that you can see on a bigger screen.

ModCecil
04-24-2014, 10:33 AM
I do understand the problem Gail and it's one I have thought about and have not found a good solution that does not involve a laptop computer. That really is your best choice, weighty it may be, but it does everything you need. I also use the laptop to backup on a thumbdrive and given Bonaire's lightning fast internet backing up on the cloud can be very problematic. There was one week on Bonaire I remember the whole island did not have internet for most of the week.

Gail Currie
04-24-2014, 07:26 PM
As I don't have my new camera yet, I cannot test this theory out but someone suggested Dropbox. I can upload my photos directly from my camera as it has wifi then view the images on my Kindle by going to Dropbox via it. I will test this out once I get my camera in 5 days. Not sure of the quality of picture that I'll see but only time will tell.

tursiops
04-24-2014, 09:47 PM
As I don't have my new camera yet, I cannot test this theory out but someone suggested Dropbox. I can upload my photos directly from my camera as it has wifi then view the images on my Kindle by going to Dropbox via it. I will test this out once I get my camera in 5 days. Not sure of the quality of picture that I'll see but only time will tell.

This has a good chance of working, but only with a good wifi connection. Note that the typical uploaded picture i maybe 6MB, whereas the typical email message is maybe 60KB=0.06MB, or 100 time smaller. That translates to taking 100x longer to get the picture into Dropbox, and then the same time to get it back out to your Fire. The Bonaire WiFi is NOT fast, if at all, sometimes.

You really need to stay off the cloud for your purposes. If you can just use your camera's SD card and put it in a card-reader that plugs into the Fire, that is your best bet. You might be able to do this with a Micro-to-standard USB dongle, a SD card reader, and a program called Nexus Photo Viewer from Google Play.

An alternative is the Kingston Wi-Drive to read the photos off the camera, and then transmit them to your Fire.

Another alterntive is to not use the Fire at all, and get an older NExus 7 or Samsung Galazy tablet, which you CAN hardwire to your SD card to show the pix.

Either the Wi-Drive or anotehr tablet will run you a bit over $100.
Better to try the direct connection to the Fire first.
What I'd do is get the Nexus Photo Viewer, and see if it installs on your Fire. Then try reading a thumb drive that has some pix on it. Then replace the thumb drive with an SD card reader.

jimw
04-26-2014, 08:02 AM
What I'd do is get the Nexus Photo Viewer, and see if it installs on your Fire. Then try reading a thumb drive that has some pix on it. Then replace the thumb drive with an SD card reader.

I like this plan. But also if you are shooting RAW files, all but sharp focus is doable later....Just gotta be sure of focus. To check sharpness of the image--I use Picasa which is free from the Google empire. Picasa has a zoom function that allows me to see on a small screen if my image is sharp enough..........