PDA

View Full Version : Canon PowerShot G15 or G16

Gail Currie
04-20-2014, 08:08 AM
After YEARS (I can't remember exactly how many) I have decided to replace my Canon PowerShot G10 with a new one. Because our trip is 4 weeks away and because I felt that my G10 gave me hundreds of beautiful underwater pictures I have decided to go with another PowerShot. What I would like is to get feedback from fellow photobugs. If you are familiar with the Canon PowerShot series let's start a discussion as to the merits of either of these. I did notice that the G15 does not have the special modes - ie sports, action, underwater - that the G10 and G16 seem to have. I really do need to check my 2 specialty setting buttons that I have set up for u/w photography and see if I even used that particular option.

jimw
04-20-2014, 02:37 PM
http://www.pbase.com/imagine

I ran into this photog's work only recently, Ellen Muller lives on Bonaire and shoots with a 15 and now 16 using only the internal strobe with the Canon housings. I try to do a similar thing with my Canon s95 and Canon housing using the internal strobe. Her work is outstanding in my view! She would be a person to consult certainly. Also take a look at the photo area of www.scubaboard.com

DrDirector
04-20-2014, 04:04 PM
I have been considering buying the G16 to replace my well-used S90 but do not know enough from experience to compare the G15 to the G16. Like the Canon housing for my S90, Canon's housing for the G16 does not allow direct access to some of the buttons or rings on the back although I did find a work-around that enabled me to get to those functions for the S90. I suspect there is a workaround as well for the G15 and G16. As such, I am considering the Fantasea FG16 housing. While it it more expensive than Canon's housing (about $400 vs. about $250), it does allow direct access to all of the camera's controls. It also seems to be more robust. You might want to check out these comparisons of the Canon and Fantasea housings: http://canondive.com/About.html and http://www.fantasea.com/FG15PR/FG15Compare.html

grunt
04-20-2014, 04:22 PM
I am packing my new G16 for a May 1st trip to Fiji.
I have the Canon WP-DC52 housing and a single Inon Z-240 strobe.
The "how to" workaround for changing shutter and aperture with the camera housed can be found in this link under WP-DC52 features.

http://www.deepshots.co.uk/2013/10/quick-review-canon-powershot-g16-and-wp-dc52-housing/

SevetS
04-20-2014, 04:52 PM
I've been shooting underwater with Canon Powershots since 1998. In November 2012 I upgraded from the S90 to the S120 and love it, thanks to far faster focus and flash recycle times.

The Canon-made clear housings are relatively inexpensive and great for ambient light, but don't provide full access to all camera controls for the S and G series, and are difficult to configure for external strobes due to lack of native connection point for fiber optic or electrical sync cord, and difficulty of masking the internal strobe. That said, I am super-humbled by Ellen Muller's extraordinary images using such a rig.

I previously used the S90 with a Fisheye Fix housing, and now use a nearly identical Recsea version with the S120, which enabled re-use of the same wet mount wide angle, and pair of stackable close-up lenses - the Inon UWL-100 28AD and UCL-165AD, respectively. I keep the lenses attached to Ultralight strobe arms with Inon "AD" bayonet lens holders, and can quickly add or remove them with a quarter turn during a dive - so I never have to worry about being rigged for macro when something big comes along, and can switch to ultra-close macro in seconds. I keep a Fisheye Fix ADF-M52 adaptor on the housing to convert the native threaded mount to bayonet style. I use (2) Sea & Sea YS-D1 strobes, up from one with the S90, and have recently added a Light & Motion Sola 1200 Photo for videos and night dives.

The Canon S and G series provide Raw format capability, which is a far better than JPG for underwater shots if you intend to edit and/or enlarge. However, most if not all Canon program modes like Underwater are limited to JPG format, so I do not use that setting, and instead shoot in Av or Manual modes and use Adobe Lightroom and/or Elements for post-processing.

My wife has been shooting the G-series for as long as I've been shooting with the S series. While they share the same sensor, I prefer the round, threaded lens port and smaller size of the S series. The G-series Recsea housing has a flat, oblong front that makes it harder to add/remove accessory lenses.

Hope this helps - bought most of the above accessories and housings from Reef Photo, Backscatter and Blue Water Photo. Special kudos to Scott Gietler at Blue Water for great shooting tips and recommended G-series and S-series setting on his blog at http://www.uwphotographyguide.com/

grunt
04-20-2014, 07:27 PM
IF you go with the Canon housing and use only the camera flash with the diffuser you may want to get this weight set to make the rig as neutral as possible.
A dive buddy last year dived with a G12 and a Canon housing and used 3 plates to great effect.
http://www.bonairetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?74241-Bonaire-May-2013

The weights are here

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/waterproof-case-weight-ww-dc1

jimw
04-20-2014, 09:31 PM
IF you go with the Canon housing and use only the camera flash with the diffuser you may want to get this weight set to make the rig as neutral as possible.
A dive buddy last year dived with a G12 and a Canon housing and used 3 plates to great effect.
http://www.bonairetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?74241-Bonaire-May-2013

The weights are here

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/waterproof-case-weight-ww-dc1

One can also substitute stainless washers in proper quantity for the weights. I bought mine at Home Depot or Lowes for a few bucks.

Gail Currie
04-21-2014, 08:00 AM
Thanks for all the input. I'll definitely ask Ellen her opinion. I know I'm going to stay with the G series as the G10 has been a good camera and I am familiar with the settings (assuming there hasn't been much change). I'll send the day looking at the links everyone has given me.

reeftraveler
04-21-2014, 09:02 AM
I shot with the G12 for several years, and I recently moved to the G16. I use the RecSea housing, which is admittedly pricey, but it is built like a tank and allows access to all controls. It is also very easy to mount onto my preferred tray/arms which is Ultralight.

The G16 has really impressed me. It's wider aperture and faster shutter speed are nice improvements from the last generation.

in terms of the shooting "modes", I don't use them as they don't allow for shooting in RAW format, which to me is critical (especially for underwater shooting).

Here is a gallery of some recent Bonaire shots taken by both me and my husband (he posted earlier in the thread). All photos in this gallery are taken with the G16 or the S120, which is a very similar Canon model. We each use dual strobes.

http://reeftraveler.smugmug.com/Underwater/Bari-Reef-Life-Bonaire-March/i-XN4Vc9d

Feel free to PM me with questions. I'm happy to answer.

Slack Tide 12
04-21-2014, 09:55 AM
Does anyone have a basic set up for a go pro black edition 3, for underwater use??? I'm getting overwhelmed with some of the sites I visit! My wife wishes to try this camera!

Gail Currie
04-21-2014, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. I do know that the G-10 in the Canon housing was super buoyant which was a hassle at times. Not sure yet if I'm leaning towards the Canon housing or the Fantasea FG housing as suggested by another poster here. The Fantasea is definitely more expensive at $399.95 vs $249.00 but to have access to all the dials might be a positive. One thing I do not enjoy is messing with dials and changing settings while diving only because I'm diving with 3 other people, 2 of whom are less than happy about me lagging behind too much.

Gail Currie
04-21-2014, 10:20 AM
One can also substitute stainless washers in proper quantity for the weights. I bought mine at Home Depot or Lowes for a few bucks.

How did you know how many washers to buy? Anyone know how much the actual plates weigh?

MikeTruesdell
04-21-2014, 02:22 PM
I have been using g 10 since they first came out. Using the fisheye housing which was a little pricey. How does the are sea compare for use of functions?

MikeTruesdell
04-21-2014, 02:25 PM
Never mind guys. I see the recsea is the old fisheye as for as I can see.

SevetS
04-21-2014, 04:53 PM
Never mind guys. I see the recsea is the old fisheye as for as I can see.

The Recseas have same overall form factor as the old Fisheyes, use same rugged aluminum, and even same mounting screw threads and hole centers, so my wife and I were both able to fully re-use our trays, arms and accessories. The Recseas have several improvements to the latch and labeling, and have a much beefier double-wide o-ring. Here's a thread with more info on the deltas http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-382361.html

Gail Currie
04-23-2014, 08:11 AM
I shot with the G12 for several years, and I recently moved to the G16. I use the RecSea housing, which is admittedly pricey, but it is built like a tank and allows access to all controls. It is also very easy to mount onto my preferred tray/arms which is Ultralight.

The G16 has really impressed me. It's wider aperture and faster shutter speed are nice improvements from the last generation.

in terms of the shooting "modes", I don't use them as they don't allow for shooting in RAW format, which to me is critical (especially for underwater shooting).

Here is a gallery of some recent Bonaire shots taken by both me and my husband (he posted earlier in the thread). All photos in this gallery are taken with the G16 or the S120, which is a very similar Canon model. We each use dual strobes.

http://reeftraveler.smugmug.com/Underwater/Bari-Reef-Life-Bonaire-March/i-XN4Vc9d

Feel free to PM me with questions. I'm happy to answer.

I tried to PM you with some questions but it said you were not set up to receive PMs.

I've decided to go with the G16 only because it's the newest version in the G Series. Now I have to decide between the Canon housing even with it's limitations or the Fantasea which is more expensive by $150.00 which my husband is questioning the need. I don't plan on using a strobe or filters as I never did the the G10 and was quite pleased with the shots I got. That being said do you use the custom settings on the G16 for your u/w shots and if so (or even if not) what settings do you generally use for ?wide angle? and ?macro? Years ago when I first got my G10 Cecil was good enough to share some settings for me to use which worked out great. Just not sure if those will still be appropriate with the improvements in the G16.

reeftraveler
04-23-2014, 03:33 PM
Gail, I just changed my settings to receive PMs. Sorry, I didn't realize it was configured that way.

I shoot in manual mode (M on the dial) at 1/250, 4.0 or 5.6. ISO- 100. This could vary slightly due to depth, time of day, etc., and in that case, I just change the aperture. I occasionally shoot in AV mode, but I find the photos slightly less crisp (because the camera chooses the shutter speed, and sometimes it is not fast enough to freeze fish movement).

If you just want to "set it and forget it", I recommend AV mode with aperture set to 5.6. That should work well for many occasions in Bonaire.

I do not radically change my settings for macro -vs- wide angle, since this camera has only one lens (unlike an SLR).

My PM function should work now.

Gail Currie
04-24-2014, 09:43 AM
Gail, I just changed my settings to receive PMs. Sorry, I didn't realize it was configured that way.

I shoot in manual mode (M on the dial) at 1/250, 4.0 or 5.6. ISO- 100. This could vary slightly due to depth, time of day, etc., and in that case, I just change the aperture. I occasionally shoot in AV mode, but I find the photos slightly less crisp (because the camera chooses the shutter speed, and sometimes it is not fast enough to freeze fish movement).

If you just want to "set it and forget it", I recommend AV mode with aperture set to 5.6. That should work well for many occasions in Bonaire.

I do not radically change my settings for macro -vs- wide angle, since this camera has only one lens (unlike an SLR).

My PM function should work now.

Thanks for that information. I'll make note of it. Well I bit the bullet and it bit my wallet but I ordered the Fantasea housing yesterday along with my G16. I traded my G10 in to B&H but before I boxed it up, I took a picture of the display in both custom settings. I'll review those and compare them to what you use. I'm sure with the updates from the G10 to the G16 these settings will have changed significantly.

jimw
04-26-2014, 08:25 AM
How did you know how many washers to buy? Anyone know how much the actual plates weigh?

I think I looked up the weight of the plates and guesstimated the length of bolt and # of washers. You don't want the bolt to bottom out in the mounting. It turns out I might have used a little longer bolt and more washers as the cam is still a little positive--but not so much that I've changed anything for a few years now.......I ended up using a brass bolt and stainless washers.

I originally saw this and a bunch of settings tips on the photo section of www.scubaboard.com Once again, I am using the Canon housing and Canon S95.:cool: