PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof case

1bajapilot
03-07-2014, 05:14 PM
Hey all...appreciate some input/opinions here. We're 7 weeks out from returning for our 8th visit and just finished what I thought to be the last piece of the puzzle by confirming the rental car. While starting to prep for packing I discovered that my faithful, old SeaLife Reef Master has finally kicked the bucket. She doesn't owe me a thing and a proper burial shall follow. Not up for buying an entire new $etup right now and have been looking at diving cases for my Samsung Galaxy III. The "waterproof" ones (OtterBox, etc.) appear to be very limited and for the most part junk for snorkeling/diving, but have stumbled across a couple that "look" impressive and wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge to share.
Here is a link for one that I'm considering: http://www.amazon.com/Seashell-Waterproof-Housing-Underwater-iPhone/dp/B008URYEO8/ref=pd_sbs_cps_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1JSZARWZDG89V2B6KSA0
Pricey but a lot less than a new GoPro or similar. There are a couple more that are similar and all are similar in cost. Appreciate your feedback, thanks!

ModCecil
03-07-2014, 06:47 PM
Well there's my recent choice, an Olympus tg-820. Small folded optics waterproof 5x zoom 13 megapizel camera good to 10' by itself which is really nice when the housing floods. About $200 for the camera and another $260 for the UW housing. YMMV.

1bajapilot
03-14-2014, 05:11 PM
Bit the bullet and ordered a Watershot underwater housing for my SG3 (they are available for SG's and iPhones)...good to 190'! Also got some optional attachments (red filter, wide angle lens,bracket to adapt to all GoPro mounts, etc.). Great reviews and actual videos pushed me over the edge and 1/3 the cost of the jumping into the GoPro setup. Will test it all out on island in 6 weeks.!

1bajapilot
03-19-2014, 07:58 AM
Here's the "next step" update for anyone interested. The new underwater housing and accessories arrived quickly. Performed a prolonged, total submersion test and it stayed bone dry inside. Installed the app and did settings, put my SG3 in the case and bam...all works wonderfully. Found a $15 piece that attaches to the housing to allow it to use all GoPro mounting accessories and I just ordered a few. 5.5 more weeks (not that we're counting) and will test the heck out of it on island.
For those who have asked...they make housings for SG3 & 4 and iPhone 4 & 5. There actually is a housing available now for the iPad. The housing are good from 160' to 190' and could be a snorkelers - kiters-windsurfers best friend. Stay tuned.

kob
03-19-2014, 08:44 AM
Nice ... please do post your results ... we're very interested.

ModFreddie
03-19-2014, 11:20 AM
WOW ME TOO>.. imagine being actually ABLE to see the screen when you take a photo.. I am interested in the Ipad case !!!!! WOW !!

RosAnne
03-19-2014, 11:44 AM
Go Pro is awesome but also a company called Lifeproof guarantees a complete replacement if it leaks or breaks. Id check it out.

1bajapilot
03-19-2014, 05:28 PM
RosAnne...Lifeproof cases are only good to 6.6' water depth; they are a case, not a housing. They will protect you from getting splashed or an accidental submersion...maybe a very shallow and brief swim/snorkel. These housings are good to 160' or 190' (model depending) and specifically made for submersion, like the housing you get with the Gopro camera and the housings I had for my 2 Sea Life Reef Master cameras for a couple decades.
ModFreddie and kob...I look forward to testing and posting results. Might even get it out in the snow here. One noted sweet thing is that the app gives full control over all camera functions and can change settings on the fly...switch between stills and video, etc. Can preset to run in either vertical or horizontal mode and also set various time-out settings to save battery. I'm pretty critical on this stuff and am impressed so far just tinkering around. I found and researched/compared 3 brands "apples-to-apples" and this one seemed superior in all aspects.