PDA

View Full Version : GoPro Advice

townses
12-07-2013, 09:36 AM
I'm considering picking up a GoPro for our upcoming trip to Bonaire.Looking for any advice or suggestions on these cameras.Black edition, silver edition?? Ease of use while diving, where do you mount it for diving, what accessories are worth getting, etc. I have no experience using an underwater camera, just looking for something basic that I can get some video and a few pictures.

Cheers........

Dee
12-09-2013, 05:22 AM
Hello, I can only tell you my experience with the GoPro. I have heard so many great things about it.
I purchased the GoPro 3 silver edition. I returned it because unfortunately mine had all the kinks
that are described online. The biggest one was it kept freezing and would not update and I kept having to
take out the battery to try to reset it.I heard they
fixed this in the new black but make sure you look at all the reviews and problems that other photographers have posted.
These cameras are not cheap, and by the time you get the accessories, the price is pretty high. You definitly need the extra
screen attachment on the back so you can see what you are taking pictures of.

Cornhusker
12-12-2013, 09:36 AM
We bought Silver edition and had same freezing problems and took LCD screen off the back and went freestyle and got some great pics, Did the patch update and has worked great since so I have high hopes to have a 2-week trip of no issues. Words of advice--go purchase extra 2-pack battery & charger [amazon I believe is where I got mine by Wasabi and 2-extra 64g 10-rate photo/video storage chip as with multi dives I have filled mine up and make sure I have a fresh battery when starting the dive. Also look at ne Backscatter magic filer adaptor ta attached to the unit--simple and has 2-attachment for different depths. I had the old manual clip on unit and just ordering today--it does help with pictures

Cornhusker

aquapaul
12-12-2013, 05:22 PM
I agree with Cornhusker on this. Get a filter, either the cheap snap on type or Backscatter flip filter. As far as the monitor on the back goes, it eats batteries at a rapid pace if you can get by just pointing in the general direction I think you will be fine. Keep in mind that you will be shooting very wide angle, something close to 170 degrees wide. So basically everything in front of the camera will get recorded. Biggest tip I would have is to get very close to what you shoot and then move in a little more or even something the size of a football will look very small in the frame.

Cornhusker
12-12-2013, 07:48 PM
Aquapaul brings a great point--practice on land with stationary objects to get a feel for how close you need to actually be for a good close up! Also make sure not to get too close as it is not kind to our sea creatures we enjoy watching. If they want to give you a close up they will come and say hi to the camera. Cornhusker

Chasin Tales
12-17-2013, 12:06 PM
I have the Backscatter Sola 500 w/ GoPro mount:
http://www.backscatter.com/sku/bs-gp-sola500.lasso?s2op=cn&s2=package%20deals&s6op=cn&s6=video&sop=AND&sf=Price&so=Descending&ftn=youbetcha&

My wife got me this setup to use with my original GoPro (the first model they had). I use it just fine without the lcd screen. I also have the magic filter from Backscatter. It is a must have! I started out using a head strap mount for the gopro. I found that I move my head entirely way too much to make decent video. Also, as mentioned previously, get a couple extra batteries. Change them out between each dive. I love the Sola light. The light improves the quality of the video tremendously.

Good luck!

townses
12-26-2013, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the advice, Santa was good to me.Now the owner of a Hero 3 Silver addition.Only 36 more days and I will post a video from Bonaire......I hope.

LEI

townses
12-28-2013, 01:26 PM
One last thing, how is it with holding the GoPro in your hand while diving and trying to video? Is there a mount that makes this easier?

ModFreddie
12-28-2013, 02:53 PM
This was taken without a pole or holder..

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150723214894369&set=vb.569179368&type=3&theater

aquapaul
12-28-2013, 05:03 PM
You can by a tray type holder from lots of different places. Backscatter makes one thats fairly cheap. My wife has a really small Gorilla Pod that she uses like a handle. It works pretty well for just leaving it somewhere and letting it run too. Works really good for Garden Eels.

townses
12-28-2013, 05:23 PM
Thanks for all the info. Now to get out and practice and figure this out as I go.

Cornhusker
12-30-2013, 10:27 AM
One last item--please do get a retractable pole to attach the GoPro as mine is about 3' extended, and resting it near a interesting creature is nice, but do not provoke by getting in their face--normally you will find they are curious about the camera and will move out from a space and come right up to the camera to explore this plastic creature and you will have some great shots! Cornhusker

DWJ
01-24-2014, 03:35 PM
I am considering getting a GoPro 3- White. Any experience or opinions on this model would be greatly appreciated.

Cornhusker where did you purchase your retractable pole?

Cornhusker
01-24-2014, 07:44 PM
I got the pole [goscope] I believe on line at amazon and just ordered it--lots of possible options and mine has a turn/twist stop and extends out 3' I believe. You can also flip the recording to have the camera hang below the pole, but I found it very stable to sit on top of the pole and take videos. Also I did buy the LCD screen attached in the waterproof casing so I can view what I shoot--it does take up a lot of battery so I have extra 2-wasabi batteries and charge all 4 and take all of them with me on a dive trip. Also I have 2-64g chips and a 32 as a backup for long diving day and download each night to clean out---also reading some place about rating should be a 10 [0thers can explain quality number] which I also use them in my land camera. Also did get the flip adaptors for magic filters this year from Backsactter and am excited--used single clip on last year and while ok better options exist. Also I did lose mine 1-time diving and do not look down, but rather track it going up to the surface. I followed it slowly, did a safety stop and then got it back and finished my dive at less depth. The are lots of fun and mine is Silver edition.

townses
02-05-2014, 07:43 AM
Used my GoPro for the first time yesterday at Something Special.Amazing quality.Thanks for all the advice. I picked up a red filter and a Goscope. The filter really make the pictures and video more vibrant. The Goscope allowed me to get some great video. I,m hooked.....Will post some photos soon.

Kimfair
10-14-2014, 10:44 AM
I just purchased the GoPro Hero4 Silver. I also got a telescoping pole. I only snorkel, and from what I've read, the red filters seem to be more needed at depths below 10 feet, where you lose the red. Does anyone with GoPro experience snorkeling feel that I need to get the red filter for snorkeling? I'm coming down in 2 weeks, so if I do, I need o order it asap!

larrygross
10-14-2014, 05:54 PM
Hi, I've taken pictures while snorkeling for years, and the blue color comes pretty quickly, certainly before 15', easy to reach. I used a flash, operating in a primitive way long before gopro.

oshendvr
10-14-2014, 07:52 PM
Kim, I have a GO-PRO as well and I only use the filter beyond 20 ft. Shallower depths there is much more natural light so you really should not need a filter. No need to rush and buy. You can get them on the Island for about the same price as at home. I bought my accessories in Bonaire last April. Can't remember the name, but it was the dive operator across from the new cruise ship pier.

Kimfair
10-15-2014, 08:30 AM
I have a Sealife camera for stills (that I use the flash with), but was hoping to use the GoPro for video, as I don't like how the Sealife video looks. Thanks, I'll give it a go, and if I need to will pick up a filter on island.