PDA

View Full Version : need a camera shop

hank
05-31-2013, 11:09 AM
I bought a Canon SX50 HS in the US and it came minus the usb cable and memory card..... small print (sold separately)..... so it is unusable right out of the box..... is there a decent camera shop on Bonaire that might have these???.... it is NOT an underwater divers camera.

DrDirector
05-31-2013, 01:29 PM
Try Fisheye Photo, located at Den Laman. Tim, the owner, stocks a wide variety of photo supplies for both U/W and standard cameras and might have what you need.

Contact info: Kaya Gob. N. Debrot 77b Kralendijk; Phone: (+599) 717 2001; INFO@FISHEYEPHOTO.COM (info@fisheyephoto.com)

oshendvr
05-31-2013, 05:42 PM
I believe there is a computer shop in the town plaza. They may have cables there as well. Worth a try.

jimw
05-31-2013, 07:03 PM
That camera uses SD memory cards as does my Canon S-95. While I've not bought any on Bonaire, Van Den Tweel or somesuch along with other stores may well have them as well as cam specialty shops. The cable will be tougher for sure. But you are ready to shoot with a card--just can't download to your computer................I prefer the 4 gig class 10 cards, as the 8's hold sooo many pics, it makes it tough to look at all of'em. A 4 gig card in my cam holds about 350-400 pics. Happy shooting!!

tursiops
05-31-2013, 09:50 PM
Hank, if you are talking about the Interface Cable IFC-400PCU to download pix from the camera to a computer via a USB connection, note that (a) Canon uses a proprietary connector on the camera end of the cable so you really do need exactly the right cable, and (b) you don't actually need the cable at all (!!) because you can just pull the SD card out and download directly from it. Depending on your computer, you MAY need a little thing that looks like a thumb drive and holds the SD card, and has a USB connector on one end. But many computers have an SD slot built in.

You should be able to get the SD cards lots of places; I think John Wall at Buddy Dive and Michael at Chat-and-Browse both have them, for example. I'd get at least the 4 GB mentioned above, bt bigger doesn't hurt. Class 10 is desirable because the pictures load faster to the card from the camera.

hank
06-04-2013, 02:05 PM
Thanks Guys for all the suggestions..... I got both these items at Fisheye Photo next to Den Laman..... the 4GB memory card was $24..... and the connector thingy from the camera to the computer was $38....... I still cannot understand why Canon will sell you a camera that flat out will not work right out of the box.

wwguy
06-04-2013, 03:32 PM
I still cannot understand why Canon will sell you a camera that flat out will not work right out of the box.

I'm glad to hear you got it all worked out.

I'm pretty sure Canon has figured out that most high-end digital camera consumers aren't engaged in an entry-level experience. Memory cards are a very common method used for storing and transferring photos, and they aren't unique to Canon cameras. Most digital camera users already have a growing collection of memory cards. In addition to image storage, memory cards also eliminate the need for cables when transferring to computers, printers, and other devices with memory card slots. Canon has no idea if you already own other memory cards and/or devices with memory card slots. They also have no idea which card size and performance level you'd be willing to pay extra for, but they do know they'd have to increase the price of the camera to include memory cards and transfer cables in the box.

If memory serves, most 35mm cameras didn't come with film in the box either.

By the way - the SX50 HS looks like a great camera. Please share some photos when you get a chance!