PDA

View Full Version : Last Great Hope for the Islands

Bob T
11-17-2012, 02:59 PM
Good Afternoon Everybody. I just finished a article in the National Geographic Traveler about the Caribbean and it's islands from writer Costas Christ. After reading this and reading the Bonaire Reporter and the Bonaire Talk forums I'm thinking of emailing the ngs website. You can contact Costas Christ at
Travel-Talk@ngs.org.
I'm going to try and explain what is happening to our island of Bonaire and what the Dutch has instore for the island since it pertains to the same things Bonaire is experiencing right now with the property changes of the piers near Karls and the cruise ships destroying the marine enviroment through tourism. I hope I don't go overboard in the email but Bonaire needs very badly to be represented. Take Care and enjoy the sun like here in the Michigan area.

petri hausmann
11-18-2012, 10:03 AM
it would be nice if you would share a link to the article .. that said .. i also deduce from your references that you are not a full-time resident .. while i appreciate your concern.. the references you are basing your response on are not studies but opinions on facebook and in 1 English language info-paper. If this concerns you , bring it to the attention of the tourist board or our deputy of tourism and work with them for a researched response .. I would like to see the proof of cruise tourism which is 80 ships this season damaging the reefs. I worry that alto your intentions are good.. care should be taken in in what is "put out there' without strong scientific base and could in the end not defend Bonaire but bring negative results .

tursiops
11-18-2012, 10:39 AM
http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/traveler-magazine/tales-from-the-frontier/caribbean-problems/

Bob T
11-18-2012, 05:22 PM
Hi Petri. I'm sorry if you feel this article was misleading or inconclusive. No, I'm not a resident. BUt for the last 20 years of going to Bonaire and seeing the people and what has happened in these years I fear for what is going to happen to the fantastic people and thier island. After diving and hearing and feeling the cruise ships from a mile away and the marine species reaction I hope your feelings are true to your consept also.