PDA

View Full Version : Kitesurfing: What strength and fitness levels needed for a first-timer?

parachute
08-20-2012, 08:30 PM
I may try kitesurfing and take some lessons during my next visit to Bonaire.

I am interested in finding out which muscle groups are worked during kitesurfing?

I am an active runner, so I think I'd be ok aerobically, but I suspect after a 3 hour lesson my back, lats, and arms might be very sore and aching... What exercises (besides kitesurfing!) do any of you kitesurfers recommend for strength training?

Thanks.

ModCecil
08-21-2012, 09:25 AM
Being a interested observer I would think boxing training might be your best bet :).

Dee
08-21-2012, 03:45 PM
I would email the business and ask them for their advise.

ModRoy
08-21-2012, 04:46 PM
Here's the LINK to the website for KiteSurfing on Bonaire (http://www.kiteboardingbonaire.com/), which I am about to put in the FAQs for future reference

J Brown
08-23-2012, 12:55 PM
Im 42. I took a three day class there about two years ago. It was fun but tiring. I already knew how to snowboard and wakeboard so that was easy. After two to three hours of drinking salt-water on day 1, I got the hang of it. Its like anything new that you learn. You fight it. But once you learn to use your weight against the kite, its not tiring. At first you use all arms but you learn quickly. Id do it again but I dive all day.

I would add that I was down there two weeks ago. A big group of the kiteboarders left the Atlantis area and boarded all the way up to Tori-s reef. Some got out there and were picked up. Being a diver, that is dangerous. You can barely hear them underwater. They surfed all the way in VERY shallow water - maybe 25 ft from shore and there are several dive sites between Tori's and Atlantis.

DiveSergeant
08-25-2012, 05:39 PM
I am interested in finding out which muscle groups are worked during kitesurfing?

Thanks.

Having watched them on our trip there, I imagine it works muscle groups that you never knew you had, but would become acutely aware of the next day!

Let us know how it goes, it looks like a blast and I might have to give it a try.