PDA

View Full Version : D.E.P.P. insurance

ModFreddie
04-02-2012, 05:57 PM
has anyone recently had any dealings with thier D.E.P.P. insurance on their camera rig??
In Feb while on Bonaire. My canon G10 was working perfectly in the housing and out, until one morning I was downloading the privious days photos and the lens extended.. this normally does not happen while you are uploading your photos to your computer.. It up loaded perfectly and when It was done the lens did not retract... i thought maybe it was a battery problem and put new batteries in the camera... NADA.. still out and this time shoing an error on the screen. "Lens Error"
I called fisheye photo about the problem and the gentleman there said I had to contact Canon about the problem. he would not touch the camera.. OK>..... so I contacted D.E.P.P. my insurance carrier for my camera gear and diving gear.....I told them about the problem in an email , asking them to get back to me with what to do... a month later they had not gotten back to me.. I called 3 times leaving my number for a call back NADA....... finally I emailed again and was told that they never received my email..... I forwarded My original email to the person that told me that.. she said she would forward this information to the clain department...... well three weeks have gone by,{they say the update you every two weeks on your clain status} and still no word....... I emailed today...trying to be patient,, but fuming inside,.,,grrrrrrrr...... I get an email back from this person that says....... IS YOUR CAMERA REPAIRABLE?..................... wtf??? I have no idea I am not a canon repairman wtf??????????????????? eeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkk I am thinking seriously of ulling my gear out of their plan and using a differnt plan...... what plan do you use????? egad.... and am I being unreasonible wanting my camera fixed in a timely fashion???? rant over....

ModFreddie
04-02-2012, 09:03 PM
UPDATE!!!
I got another email from DEPP and they FINALLY said for me to send my camera to a canon repair facility.. Once they know the cost of the repair they will cut a check.......

Now don't you think that could have been explained in the first email that I received from them??? Send you camera to a certified canon repair..... Geeeeeezzzzeeeee.......

now to get it in the mail and overnight it to Canon in Newport News VA.........egad.....insured ,certified, delivery receipt return..... all of the above :)....AND TRACKING Number!!!!!

ModRoy
04-03-2012, 09:29 AM
Vent away my dear Freddie, all the best with the repairs & claims.

When you get it back repaired and all paid for by the insurance I will tell you what Depp means in German :rolleyes:

nitrogenfixx
04-03-2012, 10:37 AM
We had a similar camera issue two years ago. Very poor response by DEPP in that it took several contacts from us to DEPP to initiate a response from them. Very costly to pay the insurance/shipping costs to the DEPP facility. Initially, they indicated the camera could not be fixed, however; they would be happy to sell us one for $$$$$, we said NO! They then called back and said they could fix our camera. The amount of money they charged ( paid by DEPP) to fix the camera was LESS than the cost we paid to ship it to the repair facility. When we received the camera, after being "repaired", it still did not work correctly.
This is a long way of saying we immediately dropped our DEPP policy and have since insured with DAN equipment policy. Yes, there are some "tradeoffs" going from DEPP to DAN, but we feel DAN is far more likely to stand behind their policy than was DEPP.

Lori
04-27-2012, 10:25 PM
My husband's Nikon DSLR unfortunately got flooded in Bonaire in 2011. He had the DAN equipment insurance on the camera equipment and DAN was great! DAN processed the claim quickly after having him send the camera to Nikon for an estimate. Nikon said the camera was toast so DAN asked my husband to provide pricing on a replacement camera which he did by sending them a link from an online retailer. There was a $200 deductible for the flood but DAN issued my husband a check minus the deductible quite quickly and he ordered the replacement.

ModFreddie
05-14-2012, 12:05 PM
STILL have not received my money back from D.E.P.P... the total cost that I paid to fix the camera at the Canon facility was $162.94.. not a lot of money but that is not the point.... I have the best plan that DEPP has and I am not a happy camper right now.........AT ALL!! if you try to call you will not get a person just a machine asking for you to leave a number and they will get right back to you... Hasn't happened so far and I first started calling in Feb... NOT HAPPY AT ALL.. I am going to look into insuring with DAN.. and I will tell DEPP why for sure...... I will ALSO refer them to this thread...negative publicity is not good for a company at all... and every day that I do not hear from them or receive my claim check, it will get more negative......... too bad, they used to be a decent company to insure with...