PDA

View Full Version : What is going on with the Pier plans and re-zoning??

Azureblue
03-28-2012, 11:18 AM
I am new to the forum, and am considering buying a house in Kralendijk. I am about to sign a contract. I have looked all over the Internet, and cannot find an update re: the re-zoning plans and most especially, the plan to put (6)???? Piers in on the protected reef side of the island. PLEASE ADVISE ME IF THE PLAN FOR THE PIERS IS GOING THROUGH. If it is, I will have to seriously re-consider my choice of Bonaire, which I had believed was doing everything possible to protect the reef, as well as the parrots and other birds, the turtles, and the lovely abundance of the natural world that Bonaire is. This is not just sentiment, or my personal preference to have a place to dive, or my love of nature. It pertains as well to the value of the house I am considering. If the reef is gone, (the video says 50 percent will be gone in our lifetimes) the tourism industry is going to go with it, and along with the value of the houses on Bonaire. If you know anything about it, I would appreciate so much an update. Thank you

ModFreddie
04-07-2012, 08:36 AM
I bet that Saint Martin/Saint Maarten once had beautiful reefs........

http://www.greenantilles.com/2012/04/01/st-maarten-paradise-in-peril/

smits
04-07-2012, 10:37 AM
That's a terrible story Freddie.
I've lived there in 1979 but have no intentions of returning.

gman
04-13-2012, 03:51 PM
Very interesting article. I was there in the Spring of 2010 to dive...and have no plans to ever go back. I compare it to the "Myrtle Beach of the Caribbean". I only hope in 20 years we don't read a similar article about how Bonaire has become the same way.

Azureblue
05-02-2012, 11:24 AM
We did buy the house, a fixer upper in Playa Pabou. Have since learned about the landfill - THAT's CRAZY! What sorts of actions lead to results on Bonaire?

ModCecil
05-02-2012, 12:20 PM
Yes and don't forget about the sewage plant that can not handle salt water or grease.

Sorry for being so snarky.

randl
05-04-2012, 07:49 AM
Anyone able to translate Papiamentu? It looks like the Bonaire Information Ministry has posted an advertisement in the the Extra, Bonaire's Papiamentu paper, concerning the pier at Karel's Bar. This is the link to the edition of the paper. Go the bottom of page 2 for the ad. I would love to know what this says. I also sent it to Sean Patton, asking if he can assist.

http://www.extrabon.com/edishon/extra2012-05-02.pdf

randl
05-05-2012, 10:19 AM
Sean Paton came through. The government ad refers to a decision to "temporarily not take enforcing action" against Karel's Bar for setting 34 steel pilings in the water adjacent to the current pier. The government is accepting petitions challenging the decision until June and instructions for submitting a petition to object are in the ad. A final decision on enforcement will be made by November.

Here is a link with a complete translation - http://www.facebook.com/pages/forum-bonaire/134931953259878. The ad, with a photo of the pier pilings, is in the Extra is linked in my post just above at the bottom of page 2.

This decision is as important as the original petition against the 10 piers. Here, a business has proceeded with construction of a major addition of their current pier without approval and the government has decided not to sanction them. All 10 piers could be built that way.

J Brown
05-09-2012, 10:18 AM
Azureblue,

Subscribe to "forum bonaire" on facebook. There are updates on everything from the piers you mentioned, to crime and to events planned on island.

Azureblue
09-11-2012, 05:47 PM
Thanks, I will.