PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Canon G12?

mbo
03-13-2012, 06:07 PM
Hi Everyone,

We just got back from an incredible trip last week (when is it not incredible?). So much life to see -- lots more eels this year than last! And finally a sea horse! It's tough coming home, so I've got to start planning the next trip soon.

One thing that happened on this trip was that I dropped and broke the housing for my point-and-shoot camera that is now over 10 years old. I have loved the camera, but this is a blessing in disguise. It's very low resolution, it's hard to download the pictures, etc. Fortunately, this happened at the end of the trip.

So I've been wanting a new camera for a while and now here's my excuse. I'm nowhere close to being any type of professional-want-to-be, and I like to take occasional photos on a dive, but I'm not obsessing about it. So what I'm looking for is:

a) Something pretty small and good for land and under the water.
b) Something that's not crazy expensive.
c) Something that has a view finder (in addition to an LCD display).
d) Something that can be used easily in automatic mode, but that also has some flexibility for user control.

With all that said, I'm thinking that the Canon G12 might be for me, but I sure would appreciate others' sage advice on this. Any thoughts would be most welcome.

With that said, here's a little, final tribute pic from my trusty old camera from this trip -- in a bait ball of bogas at 1000 steps. Oh, the awe that inspired!

With kindness,

Mary

Judy W
03-13-2012, 06:21 PM
Awesome picture---Love bogas!

randl
03-13-2012, 09:49 PM
Bought my wife a G10 two years ago. She loves it in a Fisheye housing with an Inon strobe. I understand the G12 is even better, especially for low noise in low light.

Nice shot, BTW.

ModCecil
03-14-2012, 08:29 AM
Mary you will be very happy with the G12, I've only heard good things about it. Check the link below for a bunch of threads on the G12.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/canon-corner/

Suuntodiver
03-14-2012, 11:35 AM
You will absolutely love it. I have the G11 and have taken some great shots. I am sure the G12 has made some minor improvements but love this product as well as the Sealife. Both are a great buy and you won't be disappointed.

Jordi Benitez
03-15-2012, 03:33 AM
HI

I think that g-12 is not the best option. I think that if you buy the new Canon S-100 in Ikelite housing is better.
Both are very good cameras, but the difference is on the posibiity to shot wide angle pictures.

With the G-12 if you want to shot real wide angle, you must buy an Fisheye housing (very expensive), because with Ikelite or Canon housing, with the big objective that the G12 have, you wiil not attache any WA lens.

Withe the new S-100 (or the oldie s-95) in Ike Housing, you can use any macro lens with Metric 67, or any WA lens Metric 67 too.

My buddie have a G12 and is very worried because can not take WA shots.

Cheers from Spain

(Sorry for my english)

Tom
03-15-2012, 06:49 PM
HI

I think that g-12 is not the best option. I think that if you buy the new Canon S-100 in Ikelite housing is better.
Both are very good cameras, but the difference is on the posibiity to shot wide angle pictures.

With the G-12 if you want to shot real wide angle, you must buy an Fisheye housing (very expensive), because with Ikelite or Canon housing, with the big objective that the G12 have, you wiil not attache any WA lens.

Withe the new S-100 (or the oldie s-95) in Ike Housing, you can use any macro lens with Metric 67, or any WA lens Metric 67 too.

My buddie have a G12 and is very worried because can not take WA shots.

Cheers from Spain

(Sorry for my english)

http://www.amazon.com/Fantasea-Underwater-Housings-WP-DC28-WP-DC34/dp/B002OGNL2M

Jordi Benitez
03-15-2012, 07:09 PM
Hi
With this lens you can get the 28mm original from the camera and you don't have more than 90 degrees coverage. This is not very well angle fr WA shots

With the s100 and the fix lens you have 160 degrees coverage