PDA

View Full Version : A Real Newbie Question - Sorry.

Tribs
03-05-2012, 01:53 PM
Ok...I've entered the world of underwater digital photography. I have purchased a Canon Powershot Elf 310 and Ikelite housing. Here is my really newbie question....does size matter (with regards to memory card - LOL)? I have a 4 GB SDHC card. Some of the reviews recommend using an 8 GB SDHC card. I found a 32 GB SDHC card. Should I just buy the 32 GB and be done with it, or is there a reason to have a smaller card?

:hummm:

Dixie
03-05-2012, 03:04 PM
That's a great question! The number of pictures a card will hold depends on the camera (# of megapixels) and the output (size, quality) of the images.

According to the Sanddisk website, with your camera (12.1 mp) set to save compressed 100% quality jpeg files, you should be able to get about 900 photos on a 4gb card.

An 8gb card would hold approx. 1900 photos and a 32gb over 7000 photos. The higher the quality of photos taken, the lower number that can be saved on the card.

If you're going to shoot video too, it would be helpful to have a bigger card than 4gb

Hope this helps!

ModRoy
03-05-2012, 03:41 PM
Hi Tribsy, another important thing to look for when getting memory cards for digital Cameras is the "Class" there's a lot of cheap class 2 & 4 cards around, but High end Digital cameras & DSLRs require a minimum of Class 6 and I think for video it is recommended you should get a Class 10

example :-
http://www.bonairetalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5465&d=1330977058

Lori
03-05-2012, 04:21 PM
I have found that the speed of the card really matters most--especially when shooting subjects that move! I have had good experience with the Lexar Professional 133x SD cards and can highly recommend them. I use a Canon SX230 HS camera and a 16GB card so I can dive three dives a day, shoot as many stills I want, and still have room for some decent length video footage on the card. I find that having a larger card means that you don't have to worry about downloading your pictures to your computer to clear off your memory card in the middle of the day. Now, if I can only find a battery for my camera that will last three dives... that is another story! My advice to you is to look for the fastest card and then purchase the largest size you can afford, however, I personally would not go over 16GB now as I would rather have two 16GB cards rather than one 32GB card because in case one card failed/got lost, I would still have one card.

Tribs
03-05-2012, 04:42 PM
Thank you everyone! I really appreciate all of the feedback on this. You have given me some great advice!

Kelly
03-07-2012, 02:24 PM
I was thinking exactly what Lori said; if you have two or three cards, you can swap them out each dive, so if by chance your camera floods, you'll still have the other card with the other pics on it. It's a rule I usually swear by, and broke the last Bonaire trip. I lost my camera, card and all pics! Have at least two, and faithfully swap them out each dive.

Squirrelfish
07-28-2012, 01:17 PM
Good point. Never thought about the camera flooding scenario. :hummm: ...but I do like having a 32 GB card with lots of storage and not having to open up the camera at all for the whole trip. I am new to the UW digital photography world myself so I'm glad you asked the question for me, Tribs.

Timmmmmy
10-06-2012, 04:46 PM
Roy - my SanDisk card does not even have a class - I wonder if that's the reason I have not been very happy with pictures taken with my new Nikon D3100 ?

kob
10-06-2012, 05:09 PM
I would be very cautious about opening up the housing to change cards between every dive, particularly out at a dive site. Good way to allow humidity and/or blowing sand into the housing and also risky for a grain of sand or something on the o-ring. Better having a card that will hold a days worth of images and changing in the safety (and dry airco) of your home/condo/room.