PDA

View Full Version : Kitesurfing lesson and rental recommendation

alaskadiver
11-15-2011, 09:01 PM
Next month while we are there I"d like to give my husband kitesurfing Christmas gift. What is the recommendation for a place to get him an hour's worth of lessons and a kitesurf rental for a few hours?
A place where maybe I can hangout in a lounge chair and sip lemonade while taking photos :).

smits
11-16-2011, 03:52 AM
You could try this website:
http://www.kiteboardingbonaire.com/Site_2/Home.html

alaskadiver
11-16-2011, 04:10 PM
You could try this website:
http://www.kiteboardingbonaire.com/Site_2/Home.html

I'm hoping for a recommendation from someone who has personal experience. That website is still under construction.

alaskadiver
11-16-2011, 04:35 PM
I am looking at this place. Mainly because the prices are reasonable and they seem to have other amenities that I can enjoy while hubby goes kitesurfing.

Does anyone have any experience with this place or location?

scubaliz
11-17-2011, 12:14 PM
All kiting lessons/rentals, as well as the school, are located at Atlantis Beach on the southern, west coast of the island. There are no amenities there to speak of (no restrooms, no beach chairs, no restaurants). The school offers some beverages for sale, I think. Oh...there is no shade there, either. Be forewarned. It isn't the most hospitable place for a non-kiter to hang out for the whole day.

I've taken two lessons with instructors from Kiteboard Bonaire. The lessons were fine, as were the instructors. Just like anything else, you will find different instructors have different styles. What I find desirable might not be what you are looking for, so it is hard to comment on that aspect. They are all IKO certified and know what they are doing. They are all excellent kiters, too, as is Roan (the school owner).

Does your husband kite now? If he does, you can just rent the kite/board and hit it. If he is starting from scratch, the first lesson is three hours and starts with flying a trainer kite, then progresses to the big kite on the water eventually. Nobody learns to kite in one lesson. It usually takes a few more than that.

I also spend most weekends at Atlantis when there is wind. I would suggest that if you are planning to hang out while your husband kites, that you bring a blanket to sit on and a cooler with drinks. And shade if that is your thing...although on a windy day, beach umbrellas are really just a liability since they will go flying like a harpoon eventually.

Have fun!

alaskadiver
11-17-2011, 02:28 PM
I just realized that I didn't paste the link to the place that I was lookig at.

http://www.bonairewindsurfplace.com/index.html

This place has some amenities like a snack shop and a place to get a massage, etc.

alaskadiver
11-17-2011, 02:28 PM
All kiting lessons/rentals, as well as the school, are located at Atlantis Beach on the southern, west coast of the island. There are no amenities there to speak of (no restrooms, no beach chairs, no restaurants). The school offers some beverages for sale, I think. Oh...there is no shade there, either. Be forewarned. It isn't the most hospitable place for a non-kiter to hang out for the whole day.

I've taken two lessons with instructors from Kiteboard Bonaire. The lessons were fine, as were the instructors. Just like anything else, you will find different instructors have different styles. What I find desirable might not be what you are looking for, so it is hard to comment on that aspect. They are all IKO certified and know what they are doing. They are all excellent kiters, too, as is Roan (the school owner).

Does your husband kite now? If he does, you can just rent the kite/board and hit it. If he is starting from scratch, the first lesson is three hours and starts with flying a trainer kite, then progresses to the big kite on the water eventually. Nobody learns to kite in one lesson. It usually takes a few more than that.

I also spend most weekends at Atlantis when there is wind. I would suggest that if you are planning to hang out while your husband kites, that you bring a blanket to sit on and a cooler with drinks. And shade if that is your thing...although on a windy day, beach umbrellas are really just a liability since they will go flying like a harpoon eventually.

Have fun!

Thanks for the info Liz, that's exactly the kind of information that I was looking for :)

scubaliz
11-17-2011, 03:00 PM
I just realized that I didn't paste the link to the place that I was lookig at.

http://www.bonairewindsurfplace.com/index.html

This place has some amenities like a snack shop and a place to get a massage, etc.

The three places on Lac Bay (Jibe City, Windsurf Place and Sorobon) are all nice places to hang out and chill. However, only windsurfing is permitted on the water of Lac Bay. :( If you want to kite, you have to go elsewhere.

alaskadiver
11-17-2011, 03:06 PM
The three places on Lac Bay (Jibe City, Windsurf Place and Sorobon) are all nice places to hang out and chill. However, only windsurfing is permitted on the water of Lac Bay. :( If you want to kite, you have to go elsewhere.

I think I confused the two terms. The board with the sail on the water. That's the one we want to do. I think I should have said windsurfing.
I just looked up the definition and realized my mistake.

scubaliz
11-17-2011, 03:15 PM
I think I confused the two terms. The board with the sail on the water. That's the one we want to do. I think I should have said windsurfing.
I just looked up the definition and realized my mistake.

LOL..yep, the two sports are quite different.

If you want to windsurf, then Windsurf Place or Jibe City are good choices. They are right next to each other, both sharing the same sandy beach area. I don't windsurf so I have no idea what their windsurfing amenities are. But if you need feedback on their bar service or the comfort of their beach loungers, let me know. :)

I think there are a few windsurfers that participate on BonaireTalk. Perhaps you should start a new topic with windsurfing in the title to catch their attention.

alaskadiver
11-17-2011, 03:17 PM
LOL..yep, the two sports are quite different.

If you want to windsurf, then Windsurf Place or Jibe City are good choices. They are right next to each other, both sharing the same sandy beach area. I don't windsurf so I have no idea what their windsurfing amenities are. But if you need feedback on their bar service or the comfort of their beach loungers, let me know. :)

I think there are a few windsurfers that participate on BonaireTalk. Perhaps you should start a new topic with windsurfing in the title to catch their attention.

Bar service and beach loungers are important! Thanks Liz.