PDA

View Full Version : You dove with whom? Seriously??...... Day 2

Dave Goodwin
08-21-2011, 09:49 PM
So, apparently, yesterday’s day of travel -- and the thousand beer we consumed at Ruth and Jan’s house last night -- fatigued us a little more than we had anticipated. Ruth and Jan are great hosts and it’s really hard to leave -- especially when it’s their beer we’re drinking.

Shamefully, we rolled out of bed around 9:00 AM this morning. Our first full day on Bonaire and we’re already slacking it….. thank goodness for a two week vacation. We’ll make up for it later.

Also, thank goodness, we were able to do our Marine Park “orientation” with BDA yesterday. But, really, after 16 trips, we could actually give the orientation. Things don’t change that much, especially on Bonaire. However, we always follow the rules and, besides, the refresher was nice. A side benefit was that we got to meet some of the new people at BDA.

Around 11:00 this morning, and after some minor equipment adjustments, we plunged into the warm waters of Bari reef. Funny how it seems we never really left. Like riding a bike, everything just seemed natural; I pumped a little air into my BCD, looked at my gauges, and slid over the edge of the reef. Checking over my left shoulder, I saw Double L, feet well above her head, examining a head of coral. She seemed as comfortable as I felt.

Yup, as Ralphie proclaimed after getting his Red Rider BB Gun in “A Christmas Story”, “Everything was right with the world.”

We did see a coral killer. Well, in truth I can’t guarantee she was a coral killer, but when I see someone swimming along dragging their gauges and octopus in the sand, I have to believe they’ll do the same while above coral. Besides, the sand is teething with life. What makes people think it’s okay to kneel, stand, and drag stuff through it?

Her and her companion looked my direction. I pointed at her equipment and made an exaggerated gesture of grabbing my gauges and holding them close to my body. They both tilted their heads and stared at me like I had just grown a dorsal fin. I guess I can’t blame them -- it’s their instructor that should be reprimanded. The instructor is the one who certified her when she obviously didn’t have the situational awareness to understand her impact on the environment she was in.

So, off my soapbox now……

After a quick lunch in the room, we drove down to the Rock. Great dive. We saw two turtles and three lionfish. One of the lionfish was pretty good sized and I have to say, they really are beautiful, with their spikes, or fins, or whatever they area called spread out in the water column. Sad to know they are such destroyers of the reef.

I think the turtles have devised a game to tease divers. Or at least the two we saw today had devised a game to play on Double L. For one thing, we saw them pretty much about the same time. They were swimming away from Leslie at about 30 degree angles, one to her left and one to her right. I had to laugh; Leslie looked one direction then the other then back the first direction. I could just hear her thoughts; “which way should I go?”

Then, to add insult to injury, it was almost as if the turtles would swim a bit, but not far enough or fast enough for Leslie to give up the chase. Then they would slow up enough for her to just about catch them, then they would speed away. This went on several times….. and I just watched the show.

Again, I can’t say they were doing this on purpose, but if I didn’t know any better, I’d say it looked pretty choreographed. Are turtles really that smart? Maybe.

Okay, so now to the title of this post. When we got to Ruth and Jan’s house last night, Ruth couldn’t wait to tell us who she had dove with that day. And rightfully so. She was as giddy as Harland Sanders when he developed the secret 11 herbs and spices recipe.

Apparently, Ruth is hanging around divers who carry a pretty high level of clout and celebratory on the island. To cut to the chase, she was on a boat dive with none other than Phillippe Cousteau, Jr., grandson of famed ocean explorer Jacques-Yves Cousteau.

And she has a picture to prove it!

I have to say, that’s impressive. Can’t imagine what it’d be like to dive with him, but I’m sure “exhilarating” doesn’t begin to describe it. I’m just glad to be on the island at the same time as him. Actually, if he dove today, then Les and I dove with him too; same day, same ocean. But we don’t have a picture.

Way to go Ruth, you rock…… but hey, does he like chicken?

Dive on Friends,

Dave & Leslie.

smack
08-22-2011, 12:26 AM
I've been waiting for a report, Dave. It's about damm time!!

BrianL
08-22-2011, 03:23 AM
Nice report Dave.

Sue and I did a dive with Phillipe Cousteau, George Buckley, Jack Chalk and Chip Cooper in 2001, not a hose or gauge was dangling.

DiveSergeant
08-22-2011, 10:36 AM
Good to meet you Dave,

I love your narrations.

And don't worry about being on a soapbox when it comes to marine conservation and watching out for the coral. More people need to step up and call out other divers who are not aware or do not care about their negative impact on marine life. Sure, we were all new divers at one point, but even when new we watched our buoyancy and our gear.

We'll probably be diving with BDA when we get to Bonaire in April. Any feedback on them will be well received.

DS

ABC Divers
08-22-2011, 12:31 PM
Another great report. We always enjoy it when you and Double L are on Bonaire. Not quite as much as when we're there but....

esculley
08-23-2011, 02:23 AM
nice report

glad ur having a great time

shame on those divers:(:mad:

JimMc
08-23-2011, 11:44 AM
My man is back and off the slack!!!! Dave, so good to hear from you again. It is, as always, a blast to read your incredible trip reports. I shall be waiting for the next one. And have a beer or four on me. I'll do the same for you upon my return.

Timmmmmy
08-23-2011, 01:53 PM
Nice to see you're back at it Dave - Give Leslie a hug from me.

I have met Phillippe Jr's Father and Uncle Jean Michel but never got to dive with them.

And yes turtles are very smart.

ruth
08-27-2011, 05:54 PM
Too bad you guys blew off happy hour at Paradise Moon last night...Philippe and girlfried Ashlon (Gorse, of E! Entertainment fame) spent part of it there with us. Then again, if you were on FB, you'd already know & would've seen the pix...

Dave Goodwin
08-27-2011, 06:45 PM
Ruth,

I have Leslie believing that I'm the best diver in the world!! I show up the same place as your Phileppe buddy, and I may jeapordize my status.....

What's FB stand for?

Nick F
08-27-2011, 06:47 PM
FB = Facebook