PDA

View Full Version : June 25th-July 9th 2011 Trip Report-Also Special Thanks to Bonaire Talk

PatRuss
08-15-2011, 05:43 PM
We finally were able to get our trip report written. This was our fifth visit to Bonaire and it was our best.

We arrived on Continental from Newark and we did not have any more then the usual problems getting to Bonaire. It probably is Ok that getting to Bonaire is not as easy as getting to many other locations. If it was too easy then maybe Bonaire would get too many visitors that would cause the island to lose its charm and its clean ocean waters.

It was our first stay at Captain Don's Resort. We stayed at the Plaza during our first four trips. We were in the new Junior Oceanfront Villas and they were very nice. Captain Don's is really set up for divers and we are snorkelers but we managed to fit in fine for the two weeks on the island. The people who work there are great.

As we mentioned we are snorkelers and over the past five years we have been to almost all the west side dive/snorkel sites and Lac Bay. If anyone is coming for the first time it would be good to read one of the local books to help plan your dives or snorkel trips. Susan Porter's 6th Edition "Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy" is the best book in our opinion.

As usual, we were able to see an incredible number and variety of marine and sea life. You can really see almost anything found in any Caribbean marine life or fish identification book if you are willing to spend time in the waters.

Before we visited Bonaire,we spent our vacations in the Florida Keys but there in NO COMPARISON between what you can see there as to what you can view around Bonaire. Unfortunately the waters around the Florida Keys have not stayed as clean as the waters around Bonaire.

During this trip we saw....more Octopus then other years which was great but we also saw, at least, fifteen LIONFISH this trip and we did not see any last year which is not too good. I want to mention that I spent some time trying to photograph this fish and I did notice that it seems like some of the "local" marine life has already figured out how to live with this new species. I saw soapfish and eels in the same coral opening with each other and to me it seemed as if they have already begun to coexist.

We did not see any jellyfish this year, but last year we did see and did photograph two of the now New Species, the Bonaire Banded Box Jellyfish.

We did see...moray eels (spotted, chain, goldentail), squid, tarpon, great barracuda, seahorse, trunkfish, rock beauty, butterflyfish, angelfish, doctor fish, tang, jack, chub, porgy, grunt, snapper, damselfish, grouper, parrotfish, wrasse, drum, bluehead, yellowhead, scorpionfish, flounder, sand diver, trumpetfish, ocean triggerfish, sand tile, cowfish........you get the idea............

What a great trip to a great place.

If you would like to see any photographs (Canon D-10) of some of the sea life mentioned you could visit our flickr site at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/patruss2010/

Thank You...

My wife tells me that Bonaire Talk may be closing the site soon and I wanted to send our thanks to you for all we have learned and for all we have seen while the site was open. We may not have "found" Bonaire if not for your site.

We hope there will be some way to keep the site open. Either way we want to thank all the moderators who have worked so hard over the years.

Pat and Russ
Pennsylvania USA

ModFreddie
08-15-2011, 05:50 PM
Wonderful trip report thank you both very much I will soon go look at the photos but first wanted to set the record straight on one thing... Bonairetalk is NOT closing down..... Heck we just did a whole new formatting :) however Bonaire WEBCAMS are in jeapardy and might be closing the end of this month , that means no more webcam photos for Bonairetalk....:( we are hopeing someone will buy up the webcam company and continue the cameras......

now off to see your photos :):):)

Cynde
08-15-2011, 05:50 PM
Pat, glad you had another wonderful vacation on Bonaire!

BT has no plans to close it's "doors" or the site. The Webcams may be going bye bye soon, but Bonaire Talk will be around for quite some time. Don't be a stranger, and thanks for the pics!

PatRuss
08-15-2011, 07:15 PM
We are very happy I was mistaken about Bonaire Talk closing. I was confused about the web cam change.

Now we can keep up with all the news of Bonaire and dream and plan for our next visit.

Have a great day...

Pat

ModFreddie
08-15-2011, 07:18 PM
lol You ain't getting rid of us that easy Pat ;):):):)

thanks for the photos they were /are terrific :)

Cynde
08-15-2011, 08:38 PM
We must have been posting at the same time Freddie :p

coldwaterlloyd
08-15-2011, 10:56 PM
Great report , thanks