PDA

View Full Version : Printing Art

Matt
07-12-2011, 03:48 PM
Has anyone heard of "Ciclee"? The machine 'scans' original art and stores it. It then can be printed on canvas, paper, or whatever. The real question is are there any Ciclee printers on (or near) Bonaire?

iTimmmy
07-13-2011, 11:44 AM
The word "giclée" was created by Jack Duganne, a print maker working at Nash Editions . He wanted a name for the new type of prints they were producing on the IRIS printer, a large format high resolution industrial ink-jet printer they had adapted for fine art printing. He was specifically looking for a word that would not have the negative connotations of "ink-jet" or "computer generated". To make the word descriptive of ink-jet technologies he based it on the French language word "le gicleur" meaning "nozzle", or more specifically "gicler" meaning "to squirt, spurt, or spray".

Printers capable of producing giclees are made by Epson, Colorspan, Roland, Ixia Canon and HP so I'm sure there is someone on Bonaire is doing these.

iTimmmy
07-13-2011, 11:56 AM
I've asked Jake Richter on facebook - I'll let you know what I find out.

Matt
07-13-2011, 01:43 PM
Thanks!

iTimmmy
07-19-2011, 10:13 PM
Sorry Matt - I never got an answer from Jake - Maybe some other Islanders will reply. :cool:

Matt
07-20-2011, 09:48 AM
iTimmy-

Thanks for your efforts. I had read the definition of Ciclee' you sent. I've seen it before, sums it up nicely. Thanks again,

Matt