PDA

View Full Version : Bonaire Coins

jimqwerty
06-07-2011, 02:28 PM
Hi. Iím a new poster to this board but Iíve lurked around it for a while. I hope that this is an appropriate post for the board. Bonaire is on our wish list of diving destinations but my question today is about Bonaire coins. Iím an avid coin collector as well as a scuba diver. I know that Bonaire switched to the U.S. dollar on 01/01/11.

I recently saw two different coin sets advertised for Bonaire. The first was a one dollar coin with birds on one side and 1 dollar on the other. Here is a website with a picture: http://www.knm.nl/Invoering-dollar-op-de-BES-eilanden-is-goed-verlopen/nl/news/97/?NieuwsGroepID=1&NWSY=2011&NWSM=1 (http://www.knm.nl/Invoering-dollar-op-de-BES-eilanden-is-goed-verlopen/nl/news/97/?NieuwsGroepID=1&NWSY=2011&NWSM=1)

The second is a set of 8 coins listed Ebay with coins going up to $5 face value. I canít find any information on that set to indicate that it represents official coins (rather than fantasy coins).

Any information on these coins would be greatly appreciated. If these coins circulate on Bonaire, is there any way that I can obtain them directly?

Thanks.
James

itsamugsgame
06-07-2011, 03:13 PM
Hi. Iím a new poster to this board but Iíve lurked around it for a while. I hope that this is an appropriate post for the board. Bonaire is on our wish list of diving destinations but my question today is about Bonaire coins. Iím an avid coin collector as well as a scuba diver. I know that Bonaire switched to the U.S. dollar on 01/01/11.

I recently saw two different coin sets advertised for Bonaire. The first was a one dollar coin with birds on one side and 1 dollar on the other. Here is a website with a picture: http://www.knm.nl/Invoering-dollar-op-de-BES-eilanden-is-goed-verlopen/nl/news/97/?NieuwsGroepID=1&NWSY=2011&NWSM=1 (http://www.knm.nl/Invoering-dollar-op-de-BES-eilanden-is-goed-verlopen/nl/news/97/?NieuwsGroepID=1&NWSY=2011&NWSM=1)

The second is a set of 8 coins listed Ebay with coins going up to $5 face value. I canít find any information on that set to indicate that it represents official coins (rather than fantasy coins).

Any information on these coins would be greatly appreciated. If these coins circulate on Bonaire, is there any way that I can obtain them directly?

Thanks.
James

Hi James.

From what I can gather, these are just commemorative coins to mark the transition of the Nafl to the USD. It does appear that they will be legal tender with a $1 value but they are not to my knowledge a coin that is in circulation.

It is minted by the US treasury & was featured in the Dutch press so it is a genuine item.

Since the demise of the Nafl, the plain old US Dollar is the recognised currency. I am sure however that on island, you will be able to find many original Nafl's

Good luck!

jkehnle
06-07-2011, 03:14 PM
Hey, Jim --

I have half a dozen coins from our many trips to Bonaire, and if I search hard enough, probably have even more. If you'll e-mail me your address, I'd be more than happy to send them to you.

tursiops
06-07-2011, 05:46 PM
I'd be seriously wary of that Dutch-minted coin being usable in Bonaire. Sure, some shops might take it, but probably more as a promotional thing than anything else. The article linked to even says it is not legal tender and won't be accepted at banks (to the best of my translation).

smits
06-07-2011, 06:10 PM
your translations is almost perfect.
no legal tender.
Banks will accept; most shops will too (according to the commercial article)
It's minted by the Royal Dutch Mint.

ruth
06-07-2011, 07:31 PM
We see the special BES $ coin pretty much every day (both personally and at KFC)-no problems at the bank or in stores, but I wouldn't try to use it, or even the regular $ coin in the US (we call it the crazy Abe coin-you'll understand once you see one). I don't like using/carrying all the $ coins, but since the culture here always had a "1" coin (previously NAF), that's the way it is. $1 bills also in use, but not as popular with locals. When Bonaire was part of the Netherlands Antilles, we used NAF (Neth Antilles Florins, aka ANG, Antillean Guilders). They're all still in use in Curacao, and probably available at the banks here on Bonaire, or at someplace like the animal shelter, where a lot of folks donated their old coins.
ANG coins are:
5 ($2.86),
1 ($0.57)-old style is silver, new is gold
0,50 ($0.29), gold square
Each of the below coins has an old style, which seems to be a better quality coin, and a new style, which is lightweight aluminum (so light it blows off the table if you leave it out)
0,05 (old version is square; new round)
0,01 (old version is a copper color, new silver)
2-1/2 coins (2 and a half cent coins are old and a copper color, and no new style was made)

jimqwerty
06-08-2011, 09:38 AM
Thanks everyone for your responses.

Jim

larry
06-16-2011, 02:43 PM
Just returned from Bonaire. We frequently received the $1 Bonaire coins as change and paid for items with them on Bonaire. The coins will almost certainly not be legal tender in the US as they do not mention the US at all.

It is rather bizarre to me that Bonaire changed to US currency then issued a coin that is not US currency. So, our behavior was similar to past visits: get rid of all Bonaire currency before leaving the island.

kob
06-16-2011, 02:56 PM
Or just save it for the next visit !! :D:D