PDA

View Full Version : Flamingos Bonaire

itsamugsgame
05-07-2011, 05:53 AM
It has been proven beyond doubt that the Flamingos are not flying into the power cables because they are sick but simply because they can't see them.

See the video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqLxtYgLcEU

WEB knows this but they claim that it is too expensive to put markers on the line. Please let them know what you think:

"Water & Energiebedrijf Bonaire N.V. (WEB)"
Address: Kaya Carlos A. Nicolaas 3
Phone: (599) 717-8244
Fax: (599) 717-8756
Email: web@bonairenet.com (web@bonairenet.com)

dpasko
05-07-2011, 08:26 AM
Could Stinapa or some other nature conservancy group gather donations to help fund installing wire markers?
People would help protect the flamingos, if there was a way to get involved.

itsamugsgame
05-07-2011, 08:56 AM
Could Stinapa or some other nature conservancy group gather donations to help fund installing wire markers?
People would help protect the flamingos, if there was a way to get involved.
Maybe that is a good way forward. I have Emailed WEB to find out the cost of the markers. IF they respond, I will post the response.

itsamugsgame
05-07-2011, 09:14 AM
I have sent an Email to WEB & to Glen Thode. For whatever reason the original Email address for WEB has stopped working.

This is what has been sent:

Bon Dia.

I am Emailing with regard to the horrific Flamingo deaths on the island.

I read in The Bonaire Reporter that Mr Ibi di Palm stated that the cost of putting markers on the power lines is too expensive. Now that it has been proved that the Flamingos are not sick but simply can not see the power lines, I am sure that you agree that regardless of cost, these Flamingos, which are the National Symbol of Bonaire need to be protected.

This is not a big challenge. It is a fairly easy job & could be implemented quickly. If WEB does not have the funds then maybe the Government can intervene. Failing that, let the public know the cost & maybe they can contribute.

Who is going to pay for this is irrelevant.The work should start immediately & the arguments of who is to pay can be argued about later. It is an atrocity that this is still happening. Please act now before one more of these beautiful creatures dies.

Masha Danki.

Antony Bond.....

sidemount
05-07-2011, 10:24 AM
I've witnessed this first hand. Several years ago I found a live Flamingo by the road that was bleeding from the leg. I couldn't figure out what happened to it at the time but the power line thing seems to fit with the injury I saw. I had my wife stay with the bird and went up the road to the Belmar dive shop and they contacted somebody on the island who takes or who took care at that time anyway to recover the bird and see if it it couldn't be nursed back to health. Suffice to say seeing this up close and personal is motivating factor. Isn't there a government entity on Bonaire that is responsible for land habitat?

kob
05-09-2011, 10:39 AM
Hey Antony -- any idea of the cost ?? I bet that we could raise some $$ here on BT2 and also maybe some of us could raise funds in our local dive shops here in the US.

itsamugsgame
05-09-2011, 11:09 AM
Hey Antony -- any idea of the cost ?? I bet that we could raise some $$ here on BT2 and also maybe some of us could raise funds in our local dive shops here in the US.

Hi.

I have Emailed WEB & asked them that question. As soon as I hear (he say's hopefully) I will let you know.

Tony..........

kob
05-09-2011, 01:15 PM
Thanks, Tony. Count me in for help with fund raising if it comes to pass.

dpasko
05-09-2011, 10:31 PM
I noticed on the Stinapa page that no groups are listed for protecting Flamingos. Is anyone aware of a group dedicated to protecting the flamingos?
If none exist, is anyone interested in forming a group?

larry
05-10-2011, 02:00 PM
It has been proven beyond doubt that the Flamingos are not flying into the power cables because they are sick but simply because they can't see them.
What proves "beyond doubt" are dying because they cannot see the cables? That video leaves the cause of death answer wide open. Yes, protect the flamingos, but don't jump to conclusions.

Carole
05-10-2011, 06:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuKvPp0JNRY&feature=share

Please watch this latest expose' on what might be contributing to the death of Bonaire's flamingo population. Sean & Hendrik have compiled so many stats and information and video footage trying to relay the need for immediate concerns regarding Bonaire's present state as well as her future. Please watch the entire video and take any action you can. Share the film, write to the Bonaire officials and authorities.

itsamugsgame
05-11-2011, 05:11 AM
What proves "beyond doubt" are dying because they cannot see the cables? That video leaves the cause of death answer wide open. Yes, protect the flamingos, but don't jump to conclusions.
Larry.

I am not jumping to conclusions. Read Seans website www.forumantilles.com (http://www.forumantilles.com)

A direct quote from Forum Antilles:
Yes the cables killed the flamingo birds (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqLxtYgLcEU), but the results from the waste water by the fish farm cannot be ignored!!

The tests that were done on those specific dead Flamingos recently revealed no toxins or disease that would contribute to their inability to navigate the power lines.

Since then, the results from the water testing has revealed unacceptable levels of toxins that COULD affect wildlife & may have an affect on the Flamingos. This is still be investigated & of course a connection may be found, however this could take months. Now WEB see the opportunity to blame something else, it is less likely that they will act quickly, maybe not until all test results are complete.

The whole point of the original post was that at the time, there was no other proven reason for why the Flamingos were hitting the power cables. Now, WEB has been given an argument for why they MIGHT not to be to blame & an opportunity to procrastinate.

Regardless of the final results on whether the Flamingos have been affected by toxins in the water, spirals on the power lines would most likely reduce theirs deaths to a large extent. Because of this latest revelation, WEB are likely to delay that & many more Flamingos will die.

I still urge everyone to Email WEB @: web@web.an

If only a handful of Flamingos are saved as a result, is that not more important than point scoring?

larry
05-12-2011, 04:08 PM
It may be true that the direct cause of death was collision with the cables, but the birds HAD to be ill first. The video says that the first notifications of flamingo deaths began "about 3 1/2 weeks ago," putting the date (based on the video upload date of 23 Apr 2011) toward the end of March, 2011. That means either the cables were brand new to the location of the deaths or the birds were damaged through disease or chemicals in some way that altered vision, sense of direction or ability to change direction in time to avoid a collision. The point is that the flamingo deaths seem to be a recent phenomenon and, as such, cannot be attributable to structures that have been in place for (I am assuming; please correct me if this assumption is wrong) years.

itsamugsgame
05-13-2011, 04:22 AM
It may be true that the direct cause of death was collision with the cables, but the birds HAD to be ill first. The video says that the first notifications of flamingo deaths began "about 3 1/2 weeks ago," putting the date (based on the video upload date of 23 Apr 2011) toward the end of March, 2011. That means either the cables were brand new to the location of the deaths or the birds were damaged through disease or chemicals in some way that altered vision, sense of direction or ability to change direction in time to avoid a collision. The point is that the flamingo deaths seem to be a recent phenomenon and, as such, cannot be attributable to structures that have been in place for (I am assuming; please correct me if this assumption is wrong) years.

Larry.

I am sure that we will find out in due course about the effects of the recent water testing & I am sure that we all hope that the results have not had the effects on the wildlife that we fear at the moment.

You are of course right about the cables having been in that location for a long time but the Flamingos have not. As a result of the unusually heavy & prolonged rain, water has accumulated further inland than is normal and that has attracted the Flamingos. Normally, they would not need to navigate the lines.

I have heard a rumour that WEB are now putting spirals on the line. Can anyone confirm this. I have Emailed them several times but they do not respond. I am pretty sure that they are a lot quicker in their communications if one is behind with their electricity bill. :rolleyes: