Trip Report - February 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip Report - February 2015

My boyfriend Mike and I were on Bonaire for the first two weeks of February. This was our 6th trip. We have visited Bonaire in the months of October, November, December and February.

Flights:
    Delta Airlines from Minneapolis to Atlanta and Atlanta to Bonaire, with overnights in Atlanta in both directions. This was our first experience with this route (we usually fly Continentalís red-eye through Houston, but that route seems to have been reduced in frequency and the cost was much more than the Atlanta flights. We try to avoid the East coast and the nasty weather that can happen there - I think that was a good call this year!). We stayed at the Best Western Plus in Hapeville. I'd rate it a 2-star hotel. Clean and serviceable, with free WiFi, free breakfast starting at 6:00am and free shuttle service to and from the airport. The shuttle driver had no problem dropping us off at the International terminal when we requested it.

Accomodations:
    This was our third stay at Playa Lechi Residence. The location is within a 10 minute stroll to downtown, the condo is clean, modern and well-appointed, there is a pool on site and itís a small complex (14 total condos in 2 buildings). Sunbelt Realty manages the rentals and is extremely helpful and friendly.

Groceries:
    We shopped at Van Den Tweel, Top Grocery, Warehouse Market and the Venezuelan fruit vendors (excellent mangos!).We got our dry rum (for rum punch) at the Bonaire Gift Shop in town.

Restaurants:
    Our old favorites are Gioís Gelato, Bobbi Jans, It Rains Fishes, Pasa Bon Pizza and Wilís Tropical Grill. New to us this trip were Ingridients (at Buddy Dive), Ribs Factory and Mona Lisa. We did not have a bad meal anywhere. Ingridients was such a nice surprise, we ate there twice. Inventive meals, nice presentation, friendly service, quality ingredients and a knockout location for dinner at sunset. As usual, Wilís did not disappoint. The fresh tuna was flash-grilled and served rare. It just melted in my mouth. Sue surprised us with an extra dessert on the house.

We cooked all of our breakfasts in the condo, as well as some dinners. Lunches were usually snacks (chips, fruit, cookies) at the snorkel sites.

Truck Rental:
    All of our rentals have been with AB CarRental. The trucks have always been fairly new and clean... until this trip. The first truck we were given (Great Wall Grand Tiger) was filthy inside. The entire interior was coated with dust. The brakes were weak and the transmission and clutch were sketchy. We returned it immediately for another one, which was slightly better. There were lots of new-looking Great Wall Wingles in the lot, but apparently it was our turn to get the well-used model. It gave us no trouble other than that one of the windows would not go down and the key fob lock/unlock did not work. No biggie. We left the truck unlocked and nothing of value inside, and we didnít experience any thefts and nobody tampered with the vehicle.

Snorkeling:
    We went on a 3-stop snorkel with Dee on the Woodwind. We visited some sites on the South and West sides of Klein Bonaire that were new to us. We always enjoy these trips with Dee and her team. It was not a full boat (we made reservations specifically for a day that there were NO cruise ships in town), lunch was delicious, as were the rum punches and fruit juices.

Dee took us (and 4 others) on night snorkel in town, which is always a treat. 3 tarpon followed us and were hunting in the beams of our flashlights. The corals on the pier are spectacular!

There were two days where the winds died down, so we got to snorkel at the Salt Pier, and we spent quite a few hours in the shallows between Margate Bay and Red Beryl. Lots of fish and eels, but sadly, no eagle rays.

We made two trips out to the reef at Lac Bay, walking out from Jibe City. So many healthy corals and fish in the clear water! Always a favorite for us.

When we returned home to Minnesota, the temperature difference was minus 82 degrees (F). Post Bonaire Depression is easing slightly, but Iím already wishing I was back on Bonaire!

Excellent report thanks for taking the time. Sigh I have PBD so bad I can taste it. Maybe in May if I can get Sue on her feet.
    sigpic And Jerry said, Keep it light, Keep it friendly. Post Like Jerry.

Comment

Working...
    X