Reef Spawning Event Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reef Spawning Event Today

We are mid-way through a 15-day stay on Bonaire, and had a rare (for us) experience today: a reef spawning event.

At 3 pm while diving Bachelor Beach, we observed a single brown sponge (phylum Porifera?) begin "erupting". Within 45-minutes, sponges over a wide area began releasing gametes. A white cloud filled the water and coated the reef.

We witnessed this only once before, several days after the full moon in early October. Apparently, this particular sponge follows a lunar cycle.

It was very cool to witness this act of reproduction on such a large scale.

Thank you for an amazing video.....

Comment

I was on a training dive with some Junior Rangers in September after the full moon and we saw exactly the same thing ... the sponge was smoking like a chimney
      KOB
      PADI CD-159014
      KOBScuba.com
      Lighthouse Beach Resort #32

Comment

Wow, that was awesome !! Thanks for sharing..

Comment

Wow :ymmd:

Great video and good choice of accompanying music.

This post has earned a well deserved promotion to the Articles section
          PRA & ET Inc
          Proof Readers Anonymous & Extreme Testers

Comment

Great video. It truly is amazing to see. My friend and I experienced the same exact thing on Bari Reef last year. It was such an intense explosion underwater that I even could not see my dive buddy after awhile. It was so dense that we couldn't see our markers to get back to shore and as we did finally exit our mouths were wide open saying "What the heck was that"? When we realized what actually happened we couldn't believe we were right in the middle of something spectacular. Thanks for sharing. We will be back in Bonaire in just 3 days.

Comment

Incredible! Thanks for sharing!!!!

Comment

Very interesting video--thanks for taking the time out of your diving schedule to post it!

Comment

Marvelous!! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Wonderful, Thanks for the video, Jena and I saw this last year. Thanks again for the memories of that dive.
                    There's no place like Bonaire

Comment

thanks for sharing. Our group will be there Week of Nov 1st Full Moon is Nov 6th so hoping will get to witness some spawning. Any tips? Better chances at night??

Comment

Originally posted by lfigueroa View Post
                        thanks for sharing. Our group will be there Week of Nov 1st Full Moon is Nov 6th so hoping will get to witness some spawning. Any tips? Better chances at night??
                        Agree that the video is great! Here's a 2014 spawning prediction calendar for the area. All of the species documented spawn in the Aug-Sep-Oct timeframe, so a November sighting might be a long shot. Of course nature is unpredictable, so please post if you do see any! For some still photos of this year's star coral spawning, please check out Itís Coral Spawning Time on Bonaire
                        Attached Files

Comment

We few, we few, we lucky few, we band of divers. That was so amazing.
                          Pachi Jim

Comment

Working...
                          X