Sharks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharks

We have snorkeled many places and have always seen sharks (mostly reef sharks). We will be coming to Bonaire in a couple weeks and as I have researched and watched videos over the Internet it seems like Bonaire has very limited sharks. Is this common? I know they are free swimming and can go wherever they want but I found it interesting that I haven't seen any pictures posted. When we snorkeled in Grand Cayman and St. John we saw lots of reef/nurse sharks.

Basically no sharks to be seen there. Sometimes on the east coast you will see a nurse shark. Even there it's very rare. Bonaire is not the place to go for big game.

Comment

Baracuda and Tarpon and the substitudes on Bonaire and least we forget turtles. Tom is right Bonaire is know for the little stuff, enjoy.
      sigpic And Jerry said, Keep it light, Keep it friendly. Post Like Jerry.

Comment

I would venture to say that I have at least 350 dives on Bonaire. We did see a hammerhead once at Red Slave. In my 20 or so dives on the east coast, I saw two nurse sharks. Never saw any on Klein. Too see any sharks on Bonaire is a rarity indeed. The most sharks I have ever seen were in the Turks and Caicos. We saw sharks on every dive. We also saw quite a few in Roatan, Honduras.
        Pachi Jim

Comment

Like you Jim, 100+ dives on Bonaire, one Nurse Shark on the east side in a cave. But da-da-da-da....

sigpic And Jerry said, Keep it light, Keep it friendly. Post Like Jerry.

Comment

150+ dives on Bonaire here and 1 nurse shark somewhere south not sure which dive site. Will look in log book. Heard of a reef shark sighting at Red Slave(may have been your hammerhead Jim) a few years ago, went down to see if we could find it but found 15-20 trucks with the same idea, went somewhere else for that dive.
            There's no place like Bonaire

Comment

Thanks everyone for replying! We are getting super excited about coming in 9 days for our first trip! We did see a lot of sharks in the Bahamas and Turks and Caicos. I need to check off an Eagle Ray or Manta Ray off my list as well and a seahorse! Hopefully, we will get lucky!!! Signed up for two snorkel trips with Renee to increase our odds

Comment

matthewc, it was a hammerhead. We could tell by the hammer on its head. LOL May have been 1993 or so. It hung around for a while. And other divers so it as well.
                Pachi Jim

Comment

Jim, different time the sighting I was talking about was 2007 or 2008 not sure. Still didn't see it.
                  There's no place like Bonaire

Comment

80035755-SLD-001-0027.jpg So I took this several years back at Witches Hut 7AM.... beautiful day 5 sharks but this one liked me....

Comment

Awesome picture! I love the lighting! What kind of shark is that?

Comment

14 years, 26 trips, 28 weeks, 598 dives on Bonaire, have seen sharks three times on the west side, twice on the east.
                        Have seen frogfish and seahorses on almost every trip.
                        Year 15 in October, trip #27, two weeks, doesn't matter what I see anymore....it is always a good trip!
                        Mel Briscoe, Alexandria, Virginia

Comment

There were a couple reef sharks at Klein in 05, and we saw a nurse shark snorkeling with the woodwind at Klein in 07. About it.

Comment

digging up this old thread for any updates

As I am now active on the Harbour Village Reefcam daily as CamOp & Chat moderator, we often get asked if we've seen any sharks on the cam.

I always answer no, but would like to know from the divers/snorkellers on what sightings they've had on the west coast since 2014.

Thanks in advance

Comment

Seen the manta twice, once on Klein and once in front of Captain Don's.
                              Pam saw two adult dolphins with a young in between them.
                              Spotted eagle rays down south. I swear there is a 6 foot baracuda south of Buddy Dive.

Comment

Working...
                              X